• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My cockatiel fell and is limping and won't move! HELP!!!! (sad update #16)

birdcatdog

Moving in
Hi everybody, first time posting on this forum or any forum for that matter. I'm still new to the whole bird keeping world, so forgive me if I don't get some terms or concepts right. A bit of backstory: We got a 2 month old cockatiel a few days ago (his name is Mochi) and now he seems to be hurt and we don't know what to do. Please keep in mind this is our first bird we have ever kept. This morning, he was sitting with us having breakfast when all of a sudden he flapped his wings (they're clipped btw) and started gliding to the floor. While he was doing it, our french bulldog decided that he would go after him and snapped at him but he only managed to grab a tail feather or two. It caused Mochi to lose his balance as he was falling to the floor, and he started tumbling and fell way more violently than the typical soft landings he's made over the past few days. I wasn't able to see exactly what he looked like when he fell, or what part of his body he fell on, since he was picked up before I got to the other side of the table, but now he is favoring one leg way more heavily than the other, one side of his head has a small cut that has covered his eye with congealed blood, and he is no longer standing up straight on his feet and is now rather sitting on his feet and legs instead of his usual standing. He's tried eating some food, but honestly not much. We don't really know what to do. Somebody else in my family said that he is just in shock, but when I looked it up, what he is acting like doesn't look like shock at all to me. We can't seem to find anything broken on his legs or the surrounding area, but it could just be that we are too inexperienced to tell. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? Does he require a vet? Is this just something that they do when they are scared or stunned? We are heartbroken that our little Mochi has only been with us for a few days and we've already let him get hurt. Please help if you can!!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

Yes, given then he has a cut that bled and was picked up by your dog, I would go to the vet urgently. Dogs saliva is toxic to birds.
If your vet is closed / fully booked, tell them the emergency and ask for where to find an emergency clinic.

birdcatdog

Moving in
Hello,

Yes, given then he has a cut that bled and was picked up by your dog, I would go to the vet urgently. Dogs saliva is toxic to birds.
If your vet is closed / fully booked, tell them the emergency and ask for where to find an emergency clinic.
Our dog didn't actually bite him he just tried to and managed to grab a tail feather. The cut on his lower eyelid wasn't caused by him he didn't actually get the chance to get him in his mouth. We grabbed him and separated them before that happened.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, please take him to a vet. Also, something to keep in mind- 2 months is young for a cockatiel. Tiels don't wean until 8-12 weeks. And it's common for newly weaned tiels to regress and need hand feedings when stressed. So in addition to the medical issues, make sure he's eating properly too.

birdcatdog

Moving in
You need to get him to an emergency avian vet right away.
We don't really have an avian vet close to us, and we are worried that taking him anywhere will stress him out even more. What will an avian vet be able to do for us? He doesn't look like he has any permanent brain damage, and I'll make sure to update on that if that changes, as he still recognizes me when I scratch his head (I can tell because he tries to bite my freckles off and when I touched him he automatically started looking for them). And nothing seems to be broken, he's just using that leg less than usual. Should we still go? The only person in my family that has kept a cockatiel 15 years ago said that they wouldn't be able to do much for him.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Go to the vet anyway.
We don't really have an avian vet close to us, and we are worried that taking him anywhere will stress him out even more. What will an avian vet be able to do for us? He doesn't look like he has any permanent brain damage, and I'll make sure to update on that if that changes, as he still recognizes me when I scratch his head (I can tell because he tries to bite my freckles off and when I touched him he automatically started looking for them). And nothing seems to be broken, he's just using that leg less than usual. Should we still go? The only person in my family that has kept a cockatiel 15 years ago said that they wouldn't be able to do much for him.
YES. You need to take him in.

They can give him pain meds. They can make for certain the dog didn't do any real damage. This isn't a wait and see scenario. Birds are very fragile animals and by your own admission you're far too inexperienced to recognize the damage.
We can help you find an avian vet near you if you let us. You need to have one if you plan on keeping birds.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but since she has all the paperwork and everything I need to take him and won't give them to me all I can do is hope and pray
You don´t need the paperwork to take him to the vet.

They can give him pain meds
and maybe antibiotics. That is something the vet will decide.

birdcatdog

Moving in
You don´t need the paperwork to take him to the vet.

and maybe antibiotics. That is something the vet will decide.
This doesn't make sense to me. I've been arguing and trying to convince her all morning and she literally won't change her mind. Mochi is starting to show symptoms of ataxia and it's probably from his fall. I keep telling her that only the vet can fix something like that and he needs to be treated regardless because he is injured. The reason I can't take him is because I don't have the car keys or anything that I need to get him help. Is there any last things I can do to try and convince her? How someone can not want to help their pet animal who is injured, in pain and possibly dying is beyond me, and he only reasons for not doing it is "it'll cost more money than the bird itself" and "the vets can't do anything." Very upset right now but thank you to everybody who gave out suggestions.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m very sorry to hear this whole story, all could have been avoided and now can be fixed if only a human would do the right thing. What a sad thing to happen to this poor bird. I really think that people who think like that “a vet cost more than the bird” should never have any living being under their care or supervision as they have very poor decision making skills and they are horribly selfish and ignorant..... obviously they’re ignorant! A lot has changed in the veterinarian world in 15 years!!!!

I wish you luck and I hope thus birds suffering is very minimal whatever the outcome.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you are a minor, maybe a family member can help? Someone other than the lady you mention.
If you are not a minor, then get a taxi/bus/train?

I've been arguing and trying to convince her
Maybe try not to argue, but talk. If you have no money (or are a minor) make a deal that you will pay the money for the vet bill back.

Loss of coordination could also be from toxicity. That or the fall as you said.
When birds show signs of being ill, they are very ill.

birdcatdog

Moving in
If you are a minor, maybe a family member can help? Someone other than the lady you mention.
If you are not a minor, then get a taxi/bus/train?

Maybe try not to argue, but talk. If you have no money (or are a minor) make a deal that you will pay the money for the vet bill back.

Loss of coordination could also be from toxicity. That or the fall as you said.
When birds show signs of being ill, they are very ill.
When I said argue I meant it more as showing various examples and articles from other people in situations similar to the one that my bird is in to help strengthen my reasoning. I really can't do anything at this point anymore, I can barely look at him because it's so sad just seeing him flop around with no coordination. I'd also like to have this whole thread taken off if that's okay, so if anybody knows how to do that please point me in the right direction.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We do not delete threads. Members donate their time to post replies and try to help.

I hope you are able to convince someone to help you get your bird to the vet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Take him to the vet yourself.
Get a relative to do it.
Get a friend to do it.
Return the bird to the breeder.
Call a rescue to come get the bird.

Many options, much more than “gee there’s no vet here” and “we don’t think he has brain damage/broken legs”

Obviously you don’t know that, because you’re not an avian vet.

birdcatdog

Moving in
Thank you to everybody for your help, it was greatly appreciated. However, Mochi has sadly passed away an hour ago. I tried everything I could, and the nearest avian vet was hours away. By the time we would've gotten to it, he would've passed already and transporting him to the vet may have stressed him out even further. We spoke with the breeder and he may have had something wrong with him before we received him, and the events today may have accelerated his passing. Thank you again to everybody who offered suggestions or words of encouragement. Is it possible if we could have the 911 on this thread removed? It would also be appreciated if there was a way to hide this thread as the memory of this brings pain to me and my family.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m very sorry Mochi didn’t make it, he sounded like a very sweet bird. :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you to everybody for your help, it was greatly appreciated. However, Mochi has sadly passed away an hour ago. I tried everything I could, and the nearest avian vet was hours away. By the time we would've gotten to it, he would've passed already and transporting him to the vet may have stressed him out even further. We spoke with the breeder and he may have had something wrong with him before we received him, and the events today may have accelerated his passing. Thank you again to everybody who offered suggestions or words of encouragement. Is it possible if we could have the 911 on this thread removed? It would also be appreciated if there was a way to hide this thread as the memory of this brings pain to me and my family.
These threads are so very important to other members looking for help so they stay where they are. I appreciate you feel upset about these events however many members gave their time to offer help which may also be needed in the future by others so the threads stay visible so as to help others too.

I am sorry Mochi did not make it :(

If this thread is hard for you to see then you can choose to ignore it by hitting "unwatch" at the top of the thread.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I am so sorry for your loss