• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my cockatiel and my cousin dog

yoyo65

Meeting neighbors
alright my cousin dog has come a couple a time but it seems that my cockatiel is not intersted but my cousin dog is intrested so will my cockatiel play with the dog?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Never allow a dog near your cockateil. Dogs will kill a bird in an instant, Dogs are predators and birds are prey and that will never change.

Dozens of people, members of this forum, have lost their bird to a cat or dog. Just remember it is always the bird that pays he price, not you.

yoyo65

Meeting neighbors
Never allow a dog near your cockateil. Dogs will kill a bird in an instant, Dogs are predators and birds are prey and that will never change.

Dozens of people, members of this forum, have lost their bird to a cat or dog. Just remember it is always the bird that pays he price, not you.
but my cousin dog has been keep for 3 years it friendly to families it has see the bird a few time it never attack the bird as told from my cousin so i guess it won't be killed

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
but my cousin dog has been keep for 3 years it friendly to families it has see the bird a few time it never attack the bird as told from my cousin so i guess it won't be killed
Even a friendly dog can kill a bird. They might not "attack" them, but curiosity can lead to them "nipping" the bird, which for a bird is lethal. A dog playing with them is too rough for a bird.

There are many members here who have dogs, and they have to establish firm boundaries to make sure nothing happens.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ve known my dog since she was a few weeks old and I know she loves everyone and everything and would never deliberately harm any living being.
I would never take the chance of letting her and my birds out in the same room at the same time. All it takes is one impulsive snap, attempt to play or wrong move from my dog and my birds will be the ones paying the price with their life for my ignorance and stupidity.
Just keep your bird and your cousins dog separate for the safety of your bird.
I don’t care that the dog has not shown aggression towards your bird- letting your bird roam free in the same area the dog is would be a dumb and irresponsible thing to do.

I can’t help but feel you must already somehow know the windows at your home are a problem, letting your bird out of the cage at the park is just silly and allowing the dog to have access to your bird is not a good idea. I know you’re a minor but surely you already know the right answers to these questions you’ve asked???

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Dogs/cats/ferrets are all dangerous around our pet birds even if they’re friendly with us.
Taking chances with your birds life (like letting them play with the cousins dog) is totally unnecessary and really quite irresponsible.
When your cousin and the dog visit that is most certainly a time your bird should be safely caged- especially if you love it and take your responsibility for its life seriously.

Too many companion birds die horrible unnecessary deaths at the jaws of cats and dogs because way too many people take big chances with their birds safety that they wouldn’t ever take with their own life.

Keep asking questions but please listen and please don’t try to find reasons that everyone telling you the same thing is wrong… we have all been here to console many newer members who lost birds through flying away, toxins, dog/cat attacks and many other accidents in peoples homes- we honestly know what is an unnecessary irresponsible gamble and what is safe for your bird.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Dogs/cats/ferrets are all dangerous around our pet birds even if they’re friendly with us.
Taking chances with your birds life (like letting them play with the cousins dog) is totally unnecessary and really quite irresponsible.
When your cousin and the dog visit that is most certainly a time your bird should be safely caged- especially if you love it and take your responsibility for its life seriously.

Too many companion birds die horrible unnecessary deaths at the jaws of cats and dogs because way too many people take big chances with their birds safety that they wouldn’t ever take with their own life.

Keep asking questions but please listen and please don’t try to find reasons that everyone telling you the same thing is wrong… we have all been here to console many newer members who lost birds through flying away, toxins, dog/cat attacks and many other accidents in peoples homes- we honestly know what is an unnecessary irresponsible gamble and what is safe for your bird.
Be sure to pay attention to the last paragraph. Don't be the typical internet "genius" who asks the same question or disagrees with all posts but the one they've set their mind to. Ask questions to learn, not for validation.