• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Cockatiel Adoption Quest. Checklist

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Here is what is guaranteed to come with the cockatiel I adopt:

Full vetting within 6 months and copies of medical records
Includes full chem panel, poop check, blood check (not sure if that's included in the chem panel, that's just what they said) regular well-bird visit before adoption.

1 month supply of his food if I purchase it from them, if not, I must prove that I have a 1 month supply of the same brand of food for transition-health purposed.

So on to the list!
1 cage (picking it up next week! woo!)
Food: pellets, seeds, fresh
Mineral supplement, block or powder
Perches
Toys (destroyable, foraging and preening, in whatever order or combination?)
Cage-Paper
Cuttlebone
Running wheel (I want to see if they use it!)
Parrot stand
Parrot playgym
Avian vet
24 hour Emergency Vet
First aid kit
The patience of a saint
Lots and lots and lots of time for playing!

I am just about to make the venture out into the world and rent my own place full time instead of renting out of a relative's house, so I know not to buy non-stick pans and basically anything with teflon in it. I have none of that now so its easy to avoid.

- Put toilet lids down (heck leave the doors closed)
- Leave appliances in cupboard
- Cover up the recycling bins if inside
- Leave cage nearish to a CLOSED non-drafty window
- Basically give up rights to using any sort of major chemical cleaners or air fresheners (hate em anyways)
- No houseplants (DONE, I have black thumbs of death)

Anything to add?! I want to get this right from the moment the bird comes through my door!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
No scented candles. Air purifier (if you can afford one). Spray bottle or shower perch (or both). Carrier for vet visits and getting sunshine (weather permitting) More patience once your saintliness wears off:angel3::angel1::angel2::angel4:Have fun with your new little one and don't forget the pictures.

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I don't like candles at all :p
To be honest, parrot dust has never bugged me, I worked with tons of parrots for a couple years, and it only ever made me sneeze when a few of them fluffed in my face.
Carrier, yes. Remember that.
I have a spray bottle.... my shower is really violent and unsafe. Lol. It basically is stuck on "near-power-wash" so I am avoiding that.... sink-baths, dish-baths, misting, all good.
Will definitely have fun! But I am not adopting my fid for another 6 months. Haha, I just want to make sure that I know what I am doing. Even though I worked with parrots, I've never lived with one, which is a WHOLE different ball game.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
also no harsh cleaners, no teflon, no aerosol sprays etc.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If you are going to clip their nails yourself I would keep a small jar of corn starch on hand (and of course nail clippers!) I keep some in a little make up carrier container and have it nearby when I'm clipping nails. Have only used it once thank goodness. Cayenne pepper is also good if they get a wound as it will make it feel better and help it heal, along with stopping the bleeding. I guess both of those could be in your emergency kit.

You pretty much got a good list there though, dunno what else to add!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm sure you know this, but because you listed out toys, I just want to be sure you are getting a variety of perch diameters/textures :)

Also, I recommend at least one noisy toy in addition to the ones you've listed already!

What size cage are you going to be getting?