• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My closest bird shelter closing

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
It breaks my heart, but for her own health reasons the owner couldn’t continue with her bird rescue, Wings of Love Bird Haven. She has two birds needing homes. One is a Quaker and the other is an Amazon. My spousal unit would give me an immediate Egyptian burial if I brought an Amazon home (me entombed with the fiddos). He’s neutral about the Quaker, though.

I have two little conures that I’m mad for. I’m struggling to commit to the Quaker. It’s not the vet or finances as much as my capacity as a bird parront. I also read some things on the good, bad, and ugly thread about them that made me nervous, personality wise. I still fear I’m not doing right by Gus and Max. Gus is going thru a “not stepping out of this cage” phase. He scrambles to the back perches and warns me, if I ask him to step up, right now. Of course I’m trying not to personalize his response, but it’s difficult. Max is a shoulder surfer and likes to be in the middle of anything I’m doing. Gus will seek me out on occasion and cuddle up to me. It warms my heart beyond belief when he does this. But it’s rare at present.

Anyway, I’m just putting this out there, as I am clueless as to what to ask or think. Hiccup is a green Quaker that was found and brought to Wings of Love. The shelter was designed for larger bird species, but she took the little bird in, despite this.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry for your friend.

Any details on the Amazon? Type, age?

@SandraK did you have quakers?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear that its terrible especially when a well run and good rescue has to shut its doors. That would be wonderful if you were able to offer the little Quaker a home. @Mizzely has had 2 Quakers and at one point had a Quaker and a Green Cheek at the same time maybe she could give you some advice

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry to hear the rescue is closing. We definitely need more rescues, not less. Have you met the quaker? That's where I would start before deciding anything if you haven't.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a resident quaker (not for sale) at a local pet store here. They don't sell birds, but had pity on this one when he needed a home. He's perfect. He can tell my twin & I apart (he prefers her). He also supervises shopping in the bird section, sometimes vocalizing. I'm convinced he's giving his opinion as he struts along the top of the shelving, examining what you're looking at. This is just one bird & I've never lived with any bird except budgies, but this guy is definitely lovely.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I haven’t met Hiccup, the Quaker as of yet. For details on the Amazon, check here: Log into Facebook
Shelter owners name is De, if you wanted to messenger her @Clueless

Meeting him/her would probably be a good place to start. :blink:

Last edited:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just be careful. I have two cheeks with injuries from different quakers. Maui's beak and a toe removal. Rocco is also sporting a nubby from a quaker.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
No one is out together or unsupervised while out. Hiccup likes to fly to the tops of the conures cage. I cover their cage before he comes out. I definitely want to avoid any lost toes or other injuries.