• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My clever hen!!!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
My clever little hen has started talking!!!

We never in a million years expected her to talk, as she is paired with little Flynn. Flynn is a great talker- he has many many phrases and picks them up easily. Charlie is besotted with Flynn so it's possible she has learned from him- although she does love sitting and listening to me talk.

She can say "hello " and "good boy" as well as an assortment of adorable garble.

I feel like hens get such a bad rep- in fact, we wanted another male but turned out Charlie was a she- and she can be feisty when she is hormonal but she has mellowed out at the ripe old age of 18 months and is so sweet and gentle. She even leans over to preen my eyelashes! I love her so much!

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Clever, clever girl Charlie! :bounce4:

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Thats so clever!! It'll be so cool to see overtime what else she will learn.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful AND smart!!! The perfect combination :)

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Thats so clever!! It'll be so cool to see overtime what else she will learn.
She's very intelligent- we can really see her mind ticking over when she sizes things up.

Our vet warned us that the combination of her strong personality and hormones could be challenging and we were up for it- and we are incredibly pleasantly surprised by her sweet little nature. In fact, she flew to me tonight with a messy beak covered in food, and I went to brush it off for her and she happily let me. It took a long time to really bond with her because we already had a budgie who she was more interested in. It's so lovely having this relationship with her. We have kind of formed our own weird little flock!

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
She's very intelligent- we can really see her mind ticking over when she sizes things up.

Our vet warned us that the combination of her strong personality and hormones could be challenging and we were up for it- and we are incredibly pleasantly surprised by her sweet little nature. In fact, she flew to me tonight with a messy beak covered in food, and I went to brush it off for her and she happily let me. It took a long time to really bond with her because we already had a budgie who she was more interested in. It's so lovely having this relationship with her. We have kind of formed our own weird little flock!
Aww so cute was there a specific way you taught her to say words? People always say females can't talk but they can be very talented!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Aww so cute was there a specific way you taught her to say words? People always say females can't talk but they can be very talented!
Nope!

I haven't actively tried to teach either of my birds to talk.

My male Flynn is a pretty good talker and its just all the garbage I say to him! He has repeated "he's got a point you know....you should call him!" And "ok. I'm going to the gym. Seeya!"

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Nope!

I haven't actively tried to teach either of my birds to talk.

My male Flynn is a pretty good talker and its just all the garbage I say to him! He has repeated "he's got a point you know....you should call him!" And "ok. I'm going to the gym. Seeya!"
Wow so they just pick up on things? Thats great and it must be crazy having a conversation with your birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Wow so they just pick up on things? Thats great and it must be crazy having a conversation with your birds.
Flynn is hilarious. I'll post a video in the morning when I hopefully feel a bit more sane- morning sickness is more like all day and night sickness in my world at the moment :gag:

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Flynn is hilarious. I'll post a video in the morning when I hopefully feel a bit more sane- morning sickness is more like all day and night sickness in my world at the moment :gag:
Ohh no I hope ur feeling better soon I'd love to hear a video of that cute budgie voice!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She sounds just so lovely!! I'm sorry about the morning sickness and hope it eases very soon.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Never underestimate little hens. Sam started talking at about 4 months and while some of her speech is hard to make out, other phrases are very clear. She was feisty as a baby but learned to be gentle as she aged. She's still bossy though..lol. She does the eyelash preening too!!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
She likely picked it up from Flynn but she had the personality and ability to mimic him. Hens aren't nearly as chatty as males but they CAN be. I've had many little hens that ranged from standoffish to absolute sweethearts but never one that talked until Sam. She also mimics the sound my phone makes when I get a text...lol.