• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Chinchillas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
I have six chinchillas, I was breeding them before, to keep not sell. There names are Chilly, Silly, Chicklette, Digit, Tucker and Candy. A couple chins have passed away.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
They are cute. I have a family of four chinchillas. Mom, Dad, and their surprise two babies. I was told the first chin I got was a boy, so I went and bought another boy from a breeder. Turns out the first one was a girl, and surprise! they had two babies. So now they are separated so that won't happen again. I really enjoy having them.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I want to touch them :D
cute cute!!

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Oh I love chins too! They are just beautiful :)

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
So adorable! I've always wanted one!

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Your chinchillas are adorable. I lost my much-loved female chin this summer. She was only 2 years old and I woke up one morning to find her dead. There was no sign whatsoever that she was ill-- she was totally normal the night before when I cleaned her cage and the next morning gone. I miss her dearly, and am glad you shared photos of yours. They always make me smile.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
they sure are cute

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Thanks guys. They are SOOO soft, like velvet, it's amazing.

They are cute. I have a family of four chinchillas.
Mom, Dad, and their surprise two babies. I was told the first chin I got was a boy, so I went and bought another boy from a breeder. Turns out the first one was a girl, and surprise! they had two babies. So now they are separated so that won't happen again. I really enjoy having them
haha That is funny, same thing happened to me. I got one Chilly which was a female, then I got Silly which I was told was a female and they had babies and then I started breeding them. To keep not sell! Silly is the boy.

Your chinchillas are adorable. I lost my much-loved female chin this summer. She was only 2 years old and I woke up one morning to find her dead. There was no sign whatsoever that she was ill-- she was totally normal the night before when I cleaned her cage and the next morning gone. I miss her dearly, and am glad you shared photos of yours. They always make me smile.
You poor thing, the same thing happened to me. One morning I woke up and Trouble was dead, no signs what so ever of sickness. No clue what happened. It is shocking when that happens. It is tough to pick them up to move them.

You should get another one, Im glad they made you smile.

They are very clean animals and they never smell bad which is great.It’s a blast to watch them have a sand bath.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
ehehe, so adorable!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
They are so cute!!!!

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
You poor thing, the same thing happened to me. One morning I woke up and Trouble was dead, no signs what so ever of sickness. No clue what happened. It is shocking when that happens. It is tough to pick them up to move them.

You should get another one, Im glad they made you smile.

They are very clean animals and they never smell bad which is great.It’s a blast to watch them have a sand bath.
I considered getting another but we needed the space her cage had been in. We had her in a 2 level ferret mansion. It was a total of 4 levels and she LOVED it. We ended up selling the cage, as it was overkill for one chin and really sucked for the ferrets. I think if I were to do it again, I'd get one of the smaller cages made for chins by that same company, because she loved the cage and it looked great. I think if I ever get another, I will get a rescue. Too many people buy them and can't or won't take care of them.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Yes, I got a few rescues that I never bred. Im glad you would consider getting a rescue. There are so many horror stories on the net about chins and how they are kept. I saw a video on youtube with a fur farmer snapping the chins neck but it was not totally dead and hobbled around with a crooked neck. I have never cried so hard when I saw that video and I would never watch it again. I will NEVER forget that video. They did it to be cruel. There are so many that need help it’s incredible. But I think you would enjoy one again. Maybe get two females or males to keep each other company IF they get along and are already cages together.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
I think it will have to keep for some time. We are about maxed out in the bird/small mammal room. Rico's cage takes up a large chunk. Until I can talk Tara into getting rid of the couch.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.