• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My canary is not laying eggs

Kristina20

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kristina Husztiova
Hello all,
I'm new canary keeper. I have 8 canary in my aviary and about two weeks ago I noticed my male and female kissing, feeding eachother and collecting nesting materials.

I have moved both of them into separate cage with nesting bowl and nesting material and the female made the nest within two days. They are mating every day, the male is feeding her and singing to her, but she still didn't lay any eggs and it's been over week since she build the nest.

I'm giving them egg feed, vegetables and fruits every day. Do you have any idea why wouldn't she lay eggs until now? Should I do something in different way?

Thank you in advance.

4wheeldave

Sitting on the front steps
Everything sounds OK so just give it some more time. Did you give her something soft to line the nest with. Is the nest definitely finished.

Kristina20

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kristina Husztiova
Everything sounds OK so just give it some more time. Did you give her something soft to line the nest with. Is the nest definitely finished.
Yes I gave her the cotton that is used for birds and hamsters so she nitted the strings first and then put the cotton on top of it all over.

4wheeldave

Sitting on the front steps
Just give it a few more weeks. If no eggs you may have to consider there is something wrong with her. I had a hen once that no way would she let any male bird mate with her. Another one always laid clear eggs. These things happen but don't give up yet.