• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My canary babies left the cage and i need help right now

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
Hello i’m a new canary owner and today i saw the 2 canary babies leave their nest and are refusing to go back they’re 3 weeks old, except one baby who’s still in the nest who’s also smaller than his two siblings. the problem is he isn’t being fed by his parents and idk what to do they must’ve forgot about him or smth!!! i need help right now what if he dies, also the other 2 babies are just jumping and are refusing to get in the nest and are being fed by their father only not mom, the mom is just screaming.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Are you sure they are 3 weeks? not just fledglings?
Do they have feathers?

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
yes they are, they’re also jumping but now things are good both the mom and dad started to feed the babies including the little one but i’m not sure what to do now! like what should i do after they left the nest.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
let nAture take its course.
We have young canary’s who jumped out of their nest. But its warm enough, they’ll do fine :)

they are tough little buggers!

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
let nAture take its course.
We have young canary’s who jumped out of their nest. But its warm enough, they’ll do fine :)

they are tough little buggers!
what about the youngest one he hatched from the his egg two days after his siblings and he’s not being feed regularly i’m worried about him, he’s the only one in the nest the others are jumping and playing

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Mom and dad know what to do....
They are called 'fledglings' (meaning they leave the nest). Mom and dad will feed them from outside the nest now.

Please do some research on breeding so you know what to expect.

Feed 'nestling' food in addition to thei normal diet... so things like egg food, birdie bread, etc are very good options to assist in the parents feeding the young. But generally make sure there is just enough food.

NESTLING FOOD:
1 slice Whole grain bread with seeds
1 tsp Quinoa flour
2 hard boiled eggs (shells microwaved and crushed into powder)
1/2 tablespoon crushed pine nuts
1/8 teaspoon Jumpstart mix
1/2 tablespoon finely grated carrot
1/8 teaspoon Sunshine factor
Vitamin Powder (Thrive or Laberfers)

To Serve:
Sprouted seeds
Bee Pollen

Tear bread into pieces and place on a baking pan. Preheat oven to 80C and dry in the oven. Do not toast the bread, just allow it to harden until it crumbles. Remove from oven place in plastic bag leaving a 2cm opening and crush into breadcrumbs.

Place hard boiled eggs on plate and mash with a fork. Add in the Sunshine Factor and breadcrumbs and continue to mash until its well blended. You want very small pieces. Add remainder of ingredients and create a dry crumbly mixture and sprinkle in the multivitamins (if using). Continue crushing until mixed- do not over-mash. If the mixture is too wet they will not eat it.

Place in air tight container, and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

When feeding 1 pair of birds:
Place 2 teaspoons in serving dish.

with a sprinkle of bee pollen.

This should be left in the cage for no more than 2 hours. .

Otherwise- just ensure you have enough food as they are now feeding more than one....

Last edited by a moderator:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I never involve myself in the whole feeding frenzy. In general, both mom and dad will feed then young, but ofcourse the ones outside need more food as they are flapping and hopping and... but mostly mom and dad will not leave the nestling alone :) it occasionally goes wrong when they are young, unexperienced parents.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
OK slow down.

Are you SURE the baby is not fed? I.e., his crop is empty? If so purchase some formula (if in the US, Kaytee is at most pet stores) and fix it according to package directions. I'm going to call a canary expert over.

The little ones that are / have fledged, they're okay. They probably won't go back in the nest, if they do they're coming right back out. The parents *should* continue to feed them. Let us know if they stop, we can help you feed them appropriately.

@Clairecanary15

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
At three weeks- feathered and flying. Fledglings.

Edit: this is totally normal.... the parents can handle it. It helps to give nestling food to the parents at this time.

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
OK slow down.

Are you SURE the baby is not fed? I.e., his crop is empty? If so purchase some formula (if in the US, Kaytee is at most pet stores) and fix it according to package directions. I'm going to call a canary expert over.

The little ones that are / have fledged, they're okay. They probably won't go back in the nest, if they do they're coming right back out. The parents *should* continue to feed them. Let us know if they stop, we can help you feed them appropriately.

@Clairecanary15
just saw his parents feed him i think he’ll be fine, thank u so much for your help :)

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
At three weeks- feathered and flying. Fledglings.

Edit: this is totally normal.... the parents can handle it. It helps to give nestling food to the parents at this time.
okay thank you :)

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
They are called 'fledglings' (meaning they leave the nest). Mom and dad will feed them from outside the nest now.

Feed 'nestling' food in addition to thei normal diet... so things like egg food, birdie bread, etc are very good options to assist in the parents feeding the young. But generally make sure there is just enough food.

NESTLING FOOD:
1 tsp Quinoa flour

To Serve:
Sprouted seeds
Bee Pollen

Tear bread into pieces and place on a baking pan. Preheat oven to 80C and dry in the oven. Do not toast the bread, just allow it to harden until it crumbles. Remove from oven place in plastic bag leaving a 2cm opening and crush into breadcrumbs.

Place hard boiled eggs on plate and mash with a fork. Add in the Sunshine Factor and breadcrumbs and continue to mash until its well blended. You want very small pieces. Add remainder of ingredients and create a dry crumbly mixture and sprinkle in the multivitamins (if using). Continue crushing until mixed- do not over-mash. If the mixture is too wet they will not eat it.

Otherwise- just ensure you have enough food as they are now feeding more than one....
thank you so much :)

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike

NESTLING FOOD:
1 tsp Quinoa flour

To Serve:
Sprouted seeds
Bee Pollen

thank you for your advice :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
don’t wory, you are not the first to panic :) such things can be nerve wrecking if you havent seen this before :)

are these your first birds to have young?