• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Canaries Keep Laying Eggs

Debbie S

Moving in
Real Name
Debbie Spear
Hello All,
I have four female canaries. This last breeding season was the first for all of them. I kept them in a large flight cage. They are currently separated into two flight cages because of fighting that started at the end of April when one bird started to lay eggs. I put a nest in for her comfort. She laid 6 eggs. Then another canary decided the nest was hers after the first one occupied it for a month -- that was when the second cage was put into use. The nest was emptied of eggs and the two occupants of that cage shared a nest and laying eggs. They would jockey for position on the nest sitting on top of each other at times. After over a month of that I took out the nest and put it away. They started emptying their seed cups and laying eggs in them.
I have no male canary -- but I do have a female that sings beautifully. They have 8 to 10 hours of flight time outside the cages. I have to alternate days with two cages though. If they are all out at the same time it is like something out of Star Wars. Once they are out of their cages they only go in to roost at dusk. I feed them a very healthy seed mix and lots of varied greens, fruits, and veggies. They raid the parakeets' cage throughout the day. I have been covering them up for 12 hours of darkness each night.
Each set of girls will fight through the bars of the cage where their nemeses are. I can't believe they used to share the same flight cage in the past. They used to be friends. I initially was only going to buy "a" canary but felt so bad at the cramped cage the two females were kept in I went ahead and bought them both. Six months later at a canary club show I did the very same thing.
Please give me some ideas to get this egg laying to stop.

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@finchly

How sure are you that the singing female is a female?