• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Caique is scared of me. Please help.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with what everyone else says - take it slow and on his terms. It's very important that you take things as slowly as he wants, and that you respect his discomfort and back off if he shows any sign of stress. Otherwise you're teaching him that you don't respect him trying to tell you that he's uncomfortable or scared, which will just make you even less desirable to be around (as far as he's concerned anyway).

Something you may not be aware of is that birds are often frightened of new things. This even extends to new toys, new bowls etc that we know are perfectly safe but that are unfamiliar and scary to the bird. Your bird might have been frightened of the snow and the difference in light.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I

I believe so, yes.
We got him here, in Brooklyn, some a-hole ordered him and then decide not to take the little guy. My wife saw him on display and fell i love right away. We weren't even planning on getting a bird. But he was too darn cute, so fifteen minutes and fifteen hundred later, we were proud owners of a Caique.

yay! JoJo and Chickie have a cousin! :heart: