• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgies have started mating.

benharris2

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ben Harris
Hello. I'm currently a bird owner that owns two females and two male budgies. I noticed this morning that two of my budgies have begun to mate. I have done much research about egg laying and have discovered the negative side effects of too much laying. I've decided that I'd like to let my budgie lay a clutch and allow one of the eggs to hatch, but after that no more. Is there any way to effectively do this? Or will my budgie continue to try to lay eggs? I dont want my budgie to suffer and I won't let her lay eggs unless I know it's safe and I can encourage her to not lay any more than one clutch. Any advice is appreciated.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello, Welcome to the Avenue,

I've decided that I'd like to let my budgie lay a clutch and allow one of the eggs to hatch
You researched egg laying, but did you research breeding?

but after that no more. Is there any way to effectively do this?
Remove the rest of the eggs. Though I would encourage you to remove them all.

I won't let her lay eggs unless I know it's safe and I can encourage her to not lay any more than one clutch.
She will lay eggs regardless of what you want, know, will etc. They will come when they come. There´s things we can do to help reduce this like extending night time, reducing access to nooks and other small spaces, not leaving abundances of food in the cage.

benharris2

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ben Harris
Hello, Welcome to the Avenue,

You researched egg laying, but did you research breeding?

Remove the rest of the eggs. Though I would encourage you to remove them all.

She will lay eggs regardless of what you want, know, will etc. They will come when they come. There´s things we can do to help reduce this like extending night time, reducing access to nooks and other small spaces, not leaving abundances of food in the cage.
Thank you for the input. I have done research on breeding and if I do decide to breed my budgies, I will do everything possible to make sure it is safe doesn't harm my birds. I beleive I'll remove all the eggs except one if I do decide to try and hatch a budgie. Ive read that laying too many eggs causes a budgie multiple heth problems.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ive read that laying too many eggs causes a budgie multiple heth problems.
It can. But it can sometimes be out of our control unfortunately. Having your hen on a good diet at least 4-6 months prior to breeding will give you some reassurance. Eating pellets, seed, veggies, possibly even a supplement for calcium and vitamins (speak with your vet about supplements though as they will be able to be more specific for your bird).
Plenty of exersize is fundamental - flight out of the cage offered most days of the week to keep muscle strength up is a huge thing in the fight against egg binding and other egg related problems that can occur.

Reactions: tka

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As the hen lays, her nutrients are depleted more and more with each egg. And while she tries to recuperate between eggs, it is very hard on her body. If your hen is on a good diet you will have less issues, but on a poor diet, the last egg will have the least nutrition and can lead to all sorts of problems like spraddle leg, deformities and that´s if they don´t end up DIS first.