• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie's friends caught by cat, now she is depressed, what should I do?

pippo

Moving in
I had three young budgies (around 30-40 days old). I handfed them all but they just started eating by themselves. I always kept them out of the cage, they wandered and flew within my whole room all the time. But they slept in the cage at night. These three budgies were always together, they ate, fought, and played together. They were very active and playful and chirping all the time. Unfortunately a stray cat entered my room today morning and took away two of my budgies. The remaining one is now acting depressed. She is not active since then, she is not eating seeds, not making any noise. She just sits on the top of the cage where three of them used to spend most of their time and doesn't do anything. She is now sleeping most of the time. I started handfeeding her again. But I'm super worried about her. What if she gets sick from depression. What should I do now? How can I cheer her up. I already lost two of my little babies, I can't afford to lose this little one too. What should I do now? Please help!
The first picture is of the three of them eating together, and the second one is of her sitting depressed.

Attachments

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Took away?! How’d the stray get in? Did you see where the cat went. This is horrific!

I’d take the others to a vet stat. The cat could’ve mauled them. They could have bacterial infections, especially with the lethargy.

Please treat this as an emergency & then determine how the cat got in, so as to stop it. In such cases, Internet help isn’t what’s needed. A vet &, in your case, a builder are.

pippo

Moving in
Took away?! How’d the stray get in? Did you see where the cat went. This is horrific!

I’d take the others to a vet stat. The cat could’ve mauled them. They could have bacterial infections, especially with the lethargy.

Please treat this as an emergency & then determine how the cat got in, so as to stop it. In such cases, Internet help isn’t what’s needed. A vet &, in your case, a builder are.
She is totally safe from the attack as she was playing with me in the bed at that time. Unfortunately, other two babies were playing on the floor. I was busy with her and didn't notice the cat entering (which I regret the most now, i should've been more careful) through the balcony. I heard the babies scream and it was already too late, I saw the cat escaping with the two babies in its mouth (this is too horrible to see!) and started chasing it but it got away somehow. Then we searched the entire neighborhood where the cat might be heading but we were unable to trace it since then. We already took necessary steps so that this won't happen again.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
today morning
This just happened, so your bird could still be traumatised from the events. Monitor closely for signs of illness, weigh her every morning to monitor weight (watch out for weight loss).
Maybe in a few days, you could bring home a baby budgie of a similar age?
@Ripshod @Lori D Pert

pippo

Moving in
This just happened, so your bird could still be traumatised from the events. Monitor closely for signs of illness, weigh her every morning to monitor weight (watch out for weight loss).
Maybe in a few days, you could bring home a baby budgie of a similar age?
@Ripshod @Lori D Pert
Thank you for your response. What is the right time to bring home new budgie? Should I wait some time before I bring home new budgie? In the meantime is there anything I can do for her now?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
First thing. If a cat can get in the budgies can get out just as easily. Make the room fully secure.
In the wild when a budgie loses flockmates to a predator it still has it's other flockmates to stop it getting lonely and mourning never really happens. What you have is not a bird in mourning, she's lonely.
So second thing, get her a male companion - preferably of a similar age so it'd be a good chance to visit some rescues. It's never too early.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Third thing do not let them play on the floor ever! Very dangerous place for birds. Please tell us how a stray cat gets in your home and room.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Third thing do not let them play on the floor ever! Very dangerous place for birds. Please tell us how a stray cat gets in your home and room.
They said from the balcony so im guessing perhaps they had the door open slightly? And the cat was able to slip in?
I'm so very sorry for your losses,I hope your other little one will be ok. Id definitely recommend a vet check just to be on the safe side.

pippo

Moving in
They said from the balcony so im guessing perhaps they had the door open slightly? And the cat was able to slip in?
I'm so very sorry for your losses,I hope your other little one will be ok. Id definitely recommend a vet check just to be on the safe side.
Thank you for your response. Yes, the balcony door was open, and as I live on second floor, it was easy for the cat to get in. I locked the door all the time but unfortunately I left the door open yesterday for some times and it was the biggest mistake. However, we learnt from our mistake, the apartment is fully secured now, we will protect the remaining little ones from the predators at any cost.

pippo

Moving in
First thing. If a cat can get in the budgies can get out just as easily. Make the room fully secure.
In the wild when a budgie loses flockmates to a predator it still has it's other flockmates to stop it getting lonely and mourning never really happens. What you have is not a bird in mourning, she's lonely.
So second thing, get her a male companion - preferably of a similar age so it'd be a good chance to visit some rescues. It's never too early.
Thank you for your response and advice. We'll get her a new companion as soon as possible.