• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgies cookie and Mango, may be suffering from polyuria

Its_zeus

Moving in
Real Name
Zeus
My friend @parrotman was kind enough to help me through this situation , and has let me to this place . my budgies Mango and cookie , have been having watery poop since the last one month , at first I thought it was diarrhoea , I suspected that it had happened due to the unhygienic millets ,which I changed asap and gave them the best seed mix available . But the problem still wasn't over , so as I couldn't get a vet due to the pandemic , (in our area no avain vets are available ), so I took a telephonic appointment , he said they won't survive but gave them meds , but I was determined to treat them and get them well. He gave Ofloxacin and Ornidazole with Vitamin B12 . Of which the vitamin I am still continuing cuz the vet told me not to do it more than 5 days but they aren't getting better I am worried af . They are loosing weight especially Mango and moultin a bit too , sometimesthey have tail bobbing . But it's strange that they don't have any behaviourial changes they are still active when I take them out , they play a lot , they eat properly. Please help me IMG20200810134819.jpg

Attachments

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello there, I'm sorry to hear about this and you've come to a great place for help!

I suggest you start weighing your budgies first thing in the morning, if you're not already doing so, to monitor their weight. I'm not so sure of those 2 antibiotics but generally they're harsh on the gut so you could observe some variations in the poop too. Hopefully the others here know more!

In the 3rd photo their poops don't actually look that bad I think? There are a few healthy looking ones too. Do they only eat seed?

How often are their tails bobbing? If it is only a few millimeters then it's normal as it shows that they are breathing.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Polyuria is more a symptom than a disease and your cases don't look too bad (I saw the pics of the paper). Can be caused by so many things, including a change to the diet or stress (makes them drink more). If you've been handling them and they're not tame that's where the stress is. Polyuria can also be a symptom of a small injury - Goldie misjudged a landing once, bruised his rump and had polyuria for 3 weeks before it settled back down. Is it hot where you are. Many parrots will drink water to cool themselves and that water also has to come back out. Are they bathing?
Tail bobbing is also caused by anxiety (stress again) and by exercise among other things.
he said they won't survive but gave them meds
How inappropriate!! Was there a diagnosis or even a guess? Budgies don't die of polyuria as long as there's water to drink. Try another vet if I haven't covered it above.

Edit:
Looking back at the pics it looks like an occasional thing? If that's right then there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
I had the same worries about my budgie I have now when I first got him. (I was also being super paranoid because my first two budgies had just passed). How long have you had these birds? Are they tame? Have there been any changes in your home lately that could potentially affect them? How much do they weigh, and how much did they weight before this started happening?
And I think everyone here will say the same thing about the diet. It doesn't matter what seeds are in the seed mix, or how "high quality" it is. They need good pellets and vegetables. Seeds are really fatty, and your birds will develop fatty liver disease. (How long have they been eating seeds)?
There's a good chance this is just environmental, and they are stressed. The biggest thing I'd personally be worried about is the weight loss. My vet (when Kaladin had an infection of some sort) said that if he dropped more than 2 grams in a day to take him back in. But in your situation, I wouldn't take him back to that vet. So... I'm not sure what to say if it isn't just stress...
Are they eating the new seeds? That might be why Mango is loosing weight, if she isn't eating the new seeds. Budgies are the only bird species (that I'm aware of) that would rather starve to death than switch their diet. It's best to gradually switch them from one diet to another, and keep very close tabs on their weight, droppings, and the waste from the food on the bottom of the cage. (I'm currently switching Kaladin onto pellets, and I'll tell you, budgies as stubborn little buggers).
Sorry, that was sort of all over the place. We just need some more information to really help.

Its_zeus

Moving in
Real Name
Zeus
Polyuria is more a symptom than a disease and your cases don't look too bad (I saw the pics of the paper). Can be caused by so many things, including a change to the diet or stress (makes them drink more). If you've been handling them and they're not tame that's where the stress is. Polyuria can also be a symptom of a small injury - Goldie misjudged a landing once, bruised his rump and had polyuria for 3 weeks before it settled back down. Is it hot where you are. Many parrots will drink water to cool themselves and that water also has to come back out. Are they bathing?
Tail bobbing is also caused by anxiety (stress again) and by exercise among other things.

How inappropriate!! Was there a diagnosis or even a guess? Budgies don't die of polyuria as long as there's water to drink. Try another vet if I haven't covered it above.

Edit:
Looking back at the pics it looks like an occasional thing? If that's right then there's nothing to worry about.
They eat properly according me and even take the vitamin supplement from my hand like good boys , yah they are tamed and they are quite comfortable with me . But one of the points you said made worry a little , the thing is I just shifted to a new place but it's has been 2 months they have been with me for 5 months ig now, they don't chirp a lot inside the house , they love being outdoors cuz our neighbors too have budgie and they always keep them outside in their balcony so Mango and cookie enjoy being outside and playing , the weather has been hot nowadays like 38°C but they don't like it inside the house in the morning hours they will scream or open the cage (yah they can do it that's y I have to lock the cage in the night) and come to me scream for attention. And the reason I got worried becuz they were having normal poops for the past months , it's such now that such things are happening

Its_zeus

Moving in
Real Name
Zeus
Hello there, I'm sorry to hear about this and you've come to a great place for help!

I suggest you start weighing your budgies first thing in the morning, if you're not already doing so, to monitor their weight. I'm not so sure of those 2 antibiotics but generally they're harsh on the gut so you could observe some variations in the poop too. Hopefully the others here know more!

In the 3rd photo their poops don't actually look that bad I think? There are a few healthy looking ones too. Do they only eat seed?

How often are their tails bobbing? If it is only a few millimeters then it's normal as it shows that they are breathing.
Thank you sm , I happy to know their are still people who care and want help others.
Yah there are very picky eaters j have tried giving them eggs but they won't eat it , and I have been trying to feed them veggies too. I got confused cuz sometimes their poop is formed sometimes it's their is water with solid part , and sometimes it's just perfect

Its_zeus

Moving in
Real Name
Zeus
I had the same worries about my budgie I have now when I first got him. (I was also being super paranoid because my first two budgies had just passed). How long have you had these birds? Are they tame? Have there been any changes in your home lately that could potentially affect them? How much do they weigh, and how much did they weight before this started happening?
And I think everyone here will say the same thing about the diet. It doesn't matter what seeds are in the seed mix, or how "high quality" it is. They need good pellets and vegetables. Seeds are really fatty, and your birds will develop fatty liver disease. (How long have they been eating seeds)?
There's a good chance this is just environmental, and they are stressed. The biggest thing I'd personally be worried about is the weight loss. My vet (when Kaladin had an infection of some sort) said that if he dropped more than 2 grams in a day to take him back in. But in your situation, I wouldn't take him back to that vet. So... I'm not sure what to say if it isn't just stress...
Are they eating the new seeds? That might be why Mango is loosing weight, if she isn't eating the new seeds. Budgies are the only bird species (that I'm aware of) that would rather starve to death than switch their diet. It's best to gradually switch them from one diet to another, and keep very close tabs on their weight, droppings, and the waste from the food on the bottom of the cage. (I'm currently switching Kaladin onto pellets, and I'll tell you, budgies as stubborn little buggers).
Sorry, that was sort of all over the place. We just need some more information to really help.
They have a healthy appetite , atleast for when I observe them they eat from my hand and are well tamed, and they don't seemed to be having any behaviourial changes also

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'd be more worried about the heat than anything else. Is there a cooler spot you can place them? Do they get shelter from the sun? If you can make things cooler for them they should drink less. You may need to keep them inside while the temperature is high, maybe close to an open window so they can still hear the neighbour's budgie.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
Try taking them out in the mornings and/or evenings, if that's possible, and keep them inside during the day. Sudden changes in temperature are awful for budgies, as well as extreme temperatures. Keep an eye on them for any behavior such as panting or holding their wings out from their body.
And in regards to them not being active inside, do you have good toys in the cage? Shredding, climbing and foraging toys? They might not be super active because they don't have much to do? If you want, you could post your cage set up, and we could give a few pointers. (Helping people with their cage setups is really fun for me).

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Looking at their poops I really don't see anything to worry about. As long as they are not in the direct sun that they can not shelter from and as long as they have a large enough cage and good toys then I wouldn't worry. Is there any other behaviour that concerns you?