• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie lift her tail

pipiandni

Moving in
My budgie (Ni) lifts her tail up almost every day, sometimes twice a day? I notice she does that when she's singing with her head slightly tilted backwards and tail & bum up. She has 13+ hours of sleep every night. She usually plays on my dinner table where I put her makeshift perch and my phone and her cuttlebone there. She has another playground attached to my stairs and a cage with several toys in. Rn she's chewing popsicle sticks. She doesn't have dark nesting spots. I'm worried this might result in egg laying :( so I'm wondering is there any further way to stop this hormonal behavior? How to distract her from lifting her tail? Thank you!
Ni:budgie: Pipi:budgieyf:

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies don't do this, but maybe it's a female budgie thing? Mine are male except for a baby maybe female.

When they get indignant about something (usally me, not being up to snuff), their whole bodies will move, including their tail. Without seeing the behaviour it'd be hard to determine what it is. Can you get a picture?

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
How old is she? Is she a solitary budgie? Just lifting her tail is not in itself a sign of wanting to mate. Now if she was doing that when interacting with you then it's a possibility. Usually when in mating mode she will coo, raise her wings slightly, crouch down abit and raise the tail. This will be done when she has fixated on another budgie or when interacting with you. It is possible with a toy but not as much. Is this the behaviour she is exhibiting?

pipiandni

Moving in
My budgies don't do this, but maybe it's a female budgie thing? Mine are male except for a baby maybe female.

When they get indignant about something (usally me, not being up to snuff), their whole bodies will move, including their tail. Without seeing the behaviour it'd be hard to determine what it is. Can you get a picture?
I haven't taken any photos of her lifting her tail. I believe it's a female budgie thing, my old male budgie used to rub his vent on clothes

pipiandni

Moving in
How old is she? Is she a solitary budgie? Just lifting her tail is not in itself a sign of wanting to mate. Now if she was doing that when interacting with you then it's a possibility. Usually when in mating mode she will coo, raise her wings slightly, crouch down abit and raise the tail. This will be done when she has fixated on another budgie or when interacting with you. It is possible with a toy but not as much. Is this the behaviour she is exhibiting?
She's nearly 3. She lives with another female budgie who she doesn't like. She usually does this when she feels very safe and very comfortable, I suppose. She doesn't crouch down but tilts her head backwards so that's weird. She would kinda stop lifting her tail when she sees me since she knows I'm going to annoy her :rofl: