• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie isn't drinking water

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
My 3-6 month old budgie (the pet store didn't tell us the exact age) has been with for about 3 days now. I've noticed he hasn't been drinking, but is eating just fine. I haven't seen the water level change every time I change it but I tried to feed him some apple to give him some moisture from the water in the apple, and he ate some, but I didn't want his blood sugar to spike, so I took it away. I have an automatic silo water dispenser, and I'm worried he might die of dehydration. What do I do?

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is your budgie used to drinking out of that dispenser? If not, then he might not realize that there is water in it. You could try giving him some water in a shallow dish.
Budgies also don't drink much water since they come from a dry climate. The water level never goes down in my budgies' bowl, but I see them drinking.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
And many budgies are stealth drinkers. In the wild, they are the most vulnerable at the watering hole. Those visits are fleeting.
Exactly, you will not see him drink unless he is 100% comfortable with you around.

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE: so I tried to use a small, shallow dish to have water, but I think he is scared of it because it is new. I tried looking up other options and it doesn't say anything online. Can anyone give me other options side a different water source like a bowl, as he is not hand tamed so I can't give it to him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What was he drinking out of before you got him? A dish or a silo?
Offer both a dish/bowl and a silo and leave them near food sources- budgies don’t drink a lot and they don’t often let you see them drink, so unless you see signs of dehydration I’d assume your bird is drinking.

Fresh safe grasses, lettuce (preferably not iceberg), broccoli, kale, spinach leaf wet and hung from the roof might also be useful- my budgie drinks a heap more the days he has wet hanging greens as he drinks the drips on the greens.

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Are you 100% sure that he isn't drinking his water? Because budgies will only drink their water in front of you if they are fully comfortable around you. Like my budgie Mickey, who is very outgoing, he will drink water in front of anyone whereas Chicky absolutely will not. She will literally go to the water bowl and look around to check if anyone is watching. I guess it makes sense since Mickey has been with me longer. It's something about the fact that they are in a vulnerable position when drinking water and that they won't be prepared if a predator attacks. Also, you won't see the water level change. They don't drink much. Meaning they drink regularly but the amount is really small. Like when Mickey is thirsty and can't find the water bowl for some reason, he'll fly to the kitchen and move from shoulder to shoulder and make such a big deal out of it but when we actually turn on the water, he'll drink a drop or two and fly away. They're small birds so they eat and drink in small quantities. I haven't seen Chicky drink for over a week but she is just as happy and her poops are completely normal. So you probably aren't noticing when he's drinking water. You can't monitor him 24/7 and he's probably just drinking in his cage. So unless you see any difference in his poops or his health, I wouldn't worry too much. If you want, set a little camera in his cage and you'll see him drink his water. And I don't know what you're using, but I've heard that stainless steel water bowls are the best because they don't grow as much bacteria.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It'll be 5 days without water today. We'd know for sure by now if he was dehydrated from his poops. As others have already said budgies in the wild are at their most vulnerable when drinking so you're likely just not seeing it. Just to set your mind at rest can you get a spy camera set up to watch his drinker/dish?