• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie is regurgitating on his bell?

Kiryuter

Moving in
Real Name
Alastor
Hi there, my male budgie Arei is hormonal ( first time ) and I am not sure on what to do. Whenever I take his entire toy out to clean because of the mess on it, he follows after it and screams / chirps very loudly almost sounding like he’s agitated, but then the second he is near it he calms down and starts beaking and regurgitating seed all over it. I have never seen him mount the bell, or attempt to, so I’m not sure if he considers it his mate. The smudge on the bell is regurgitation. image.jpg h

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he an only budgie?

Kiryuter

Moving in
Real Name
Alastor
yeah, hes an only budgie, but I take him out everyday, give him tons of attention, we do tricks so he isn’t that lonely.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I'm not super sure what you should do, but @Lori D Pert may know.
yeah, hes an only budgie, but I take him out everyday, give him tons of attention, we do tricks so he isn’t that lonely.
I am sure you give him plenty of attention, but it's my personal opinion that people simply cannot provide the same level of companionship that another bird can.
The person I tagged should be able to help as she has owned a single budgie before.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Budgies will regurgitate on reflective surfaces because they may think it’s another budgie. before I got Winston and I only had Oliver he used to have a mirror and would get very territorial of it since he thought it was another bird. I got rid of all reflective things after that and soon after got my other budgie Winston!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
My lovebird pico regurgitates to his wife cat bell ball he’s not an only lovebird he as three other friends but he just loves his wife ball I accidentally stood on his first ball and he just swapped for the other bigger one he did have a knot rope perch but he was over obsessed with it wouldn’t come out of his cage so I removed it and put it in bin then he went to balls he’s not hurting anything he’s happy he still comes out does tricks etc he will fly with it in his beak puts it on floor while out and checks back on it every now and again feeds it
I just left him with it I personally dont think and I maybe wrong that he’s hurting anything it’s his friend and his release if I feel he’s over top with it I will remove and get rid of any balls

I would just see how he goes with it if he’s eating playing drinking still enjoying coming out of his cage then I would personal leave him

Kiryuter

Moving in
Real Name
Alastor
ty, ill just monitor him and make sure he doesn’t get too intense with it

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
ty, ill just monitor him and make sure he doesn’t get too intense with it
I would as long as he behaving like normal keep us informed

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
He’s very cute

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovebirds may be more apt to engage in courtship with inanimate objects simply because they are more apt to in general with objects/birds. What genders there are may influence this too. Budgies are more apt to have same sex friends, I believe.

When Cloud & Ernest weren’t together Ernest would talk to bells, regurgitate to a swing, & have his way with it. As soon as those two were together this stopped.

Personally, I would remove the bell & all shiny objects. My two ex-singletons have none. The other eight are fine.

The problem with ‘filler’ behaviour is that they’re never satisfied, like they would be with a real bird.

In Ernest’s case, it meant that while the other budgies were happy to forage, play, sing, etc., Ernest just fixated on two objects & displayed other captive stereotypies. My budgies regurgitate to their buddies, but not all day, as Ernest did to his The lack of reciprocity left him desperate.

I’d also be interested to hear what Lori says.

Ernest was housed solo a little over 11 months. Cloud was almost a year, but the fact that he’d had a buddy previously seemed to make all the difference in his adapting to the single life.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
It is most likely his reflection in the bell that he's attached to. If he's becoming overly obsessive with it maybe try a different style of bell or a new toy to distract him but I would remove it for now. I have had both males and females do this (solitary usually but not always) and I always remove the offending toy and provide a new one along with lots of attention.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Like others said, it’s just the reflection, not even a hormonal thing. My two male budgies would feed each other almost daily. They were not hormonal like ever that I remember. They never humped anything. My cockatiel however… lol.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My newest budgie, Rudy, will regurgitate on anything. Shiny bolt holding his beak conditioning stone in place, bell of a toy, mahogany pod....

He lived alone in a tiny cage for his first 4 years. He now has a flight cage to himself, but is still learning about his expanded world. I'll hopefully get one more budgie in the next 6 months so that I can let all 4 of them live in the same cage as a flock. The dynamics of 3 budgies is not pretty in my experience.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
ty, it’s a perch but I can just take the bells off
Sounds like a great idea :) most bells come with issues anyways, birds can get their beak trapped in the ones with a flat clapper ( the thing inside the bell).
I know others may have mentioned to get another bird, if you do, you would need to quarantine the other bird for a month for safety. Also, if you decide to, I would get another male, males usualy get along great! Female budgies sometimes are a bit bossy.

even though we cannot provide the same level of companionship as another bird, as long as you give your bird attention daily, and keep it in a room where you are most likely to be, provide it with toys and stimulation, it will have a very happy life without a buddy companion in my opinion.