• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My budgie is pooping blood

Greennone

Moving in
My budgie is pooping blood, I don't know what happened all of a sudden? He was fine yesterday and I checked him out, he just molting…. I want to take him to the vet but today is Saturday everything is closed in my city on Saturday (I live in Israel.

The same thing happened to him four years ago, it only took minutes and it's over, now the same thing is happening, I'm very worried, I thought at first it was a female and that it was part of the eggs, but it turned out to be a male.

He sings and plays and doesn’t appear to be tired or sick. Has anyone experienced this before? Please advise me

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry to hear about your budgie. Unfortunately, other than recommending medical attention, I am unsure of what to say. I would normally recommend heat for an ill animal, however the heat can make the blood flow more which is the opposite of what you want to happen. The other suggestion would be cornstarch, but I do not know if that is safe for internal bleeding.

Greennone

Moving in
I am very sorry to hear about your budgie. Unfortunately, other than recommending medical attention, I am unsure of what to say. I would normally recommend heat for an ill animal, however the heat can make the blood flow more which is the opposite of what you want to happen. The other suggestion would be cornstarch, but I do not know if that is safe for internal bleeding.
Someone on Facebook group gave me this, and told me it was good for sick birds. I hope this work

Attachments

Greennone

Moving in
I call the vet close to me, unfortunately I only heard of him treating dogs and cats. I'm upset and I'm trying to find a vet who treats birds, I don't know why it's so hard to find them in my city and yet it is Saturday…. I'm so upset I'm angry all day and nervous.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Im sorry this is scary.
There can e be many reasons, and we dont know ..
But the one reason I've heard of the most is metal toxicity. From chewing or a lot of mouth contacts to metal like zinc or lead.
What is his cage made of? Did you make tge csge yourself or buy it?
Does tge budgie chew walls or windows seal? Toys , jewelry and other sources.

That is if this , is even linked with metal toxicity.

Hopefully you can get to veterinarian on Monday. But often tge svsin vets will hsve sn answering service for emergency on weekends. They might call back to offer advice until you can see them.

Greennone

Moving in
Im sorry this is scary.
But the one reason I've heard of the most is metal toxicity. From chewing or a lot of mouth contacts to metal like zinc or lead.

Hopefully you can get to veterinarian on Monday. But often tge svsin vets will hsve sn answering service for emergency on weekends. They might call back to offer advice until you can see them.
I have posted in bird groups on Facebook in my country, hoping someone will give me a number or place for a doctor who treats birds, close to my city. I can only find therapists for dogs and cats.
I will wait for a response here. If it really is metal toxicity, can I buy something to treat it? His cage is made of iron, but he stays outside all day, only at night he sleeps in it, he used to chew the wall of the room, peeling it like paper, until in the end I paid attention and put an end to it, I wonder if this had anything to do with it
You see here:

Attachments

Greennone

Moving in
Im sorry this is scary.

I don't think anyone feels what I feel, I'm so afraid of losing him, I feel something holding my breath. I have raised him for 7 years and he is my family

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have posted in bird groups on Facebook in my country, hoping someone will give me a number or place for a doctor who treats birds, close to my city. I can only find therapists for dogs and cats.
I will wait for a response here. If it really is metal toxicity, can I buy something to treat it? His cage is made of iron, but he stays outside all day, only at night he sleeps in it, he used to chew the wall of the room, peeling it like paper, until in the end I paid attention and put an end to it, I wonder if this had anything to do with it
You see here:
We are not veterinarians.
Onky a few members will respond , usually those that feel they've had experience with the issue. Please keep searching for an avian veterinarian thst csn actually help. Have you looked for a falconer ? There are avian veterinarians for them.

We can not know what's wrong with your little guy.

Im just offering blood poop can be linked wjth metal toxicity. And yes paint can be a source, many times older paint is lead based. Lead is toxic either chronic or acute.

Only a veterinarian can treat for that. There are no home remedies. If thst was determined to be the reason.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I don't think anyone feels what I feel, I'm so afraid of losing him, I feel something holding my breath. I have raised him for 7 years and he is my family
We do understand the love between people and their parrots. We all feel as you do.
My sympathy, it is so difficult to have our parrot kids sick .
7 years is a long happy life .

Greennone

Moving in
We are not veterinarians.
Onky a few members will respond , usually those that feel they've had experience with the issue. Please keep searching for an avian veterinarian thst csn actually help. Have you looked for a falconer ? There are avian veterinarians for them.

We can not know what's wrong with your little guy.

Im just offering blood poop can be linked wjth metal toxicity. And yes paint can be a source, many times older paint is lead based. Lead is toxic either chronic or acute.

Only a veterinarian can treat for that. There are no home remedies. If thst was determined to be the reason.
Well, this is so bad that I can't offer a remedies home, because I can't find a vet yet.

Thanks for the answer and sympathy with me

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Well, this is so bad that I can't offer a remedies home, because I can't find a vet yet.

Thanks for the answer and sympathy with me
Unfortunately, it has been quite a few years since any members who are from your country have posted as far as I can remember.

Also, it may not seem it, but everyone here truly loves and their pets and care about yours as well, and that is one reason that members are not jumping to give home remedies. I say this because if something that someone suggested ever lead to your pet dying, the member that recommended that treatment would never be able to forgive themselves.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there anyway to contact your local zoo vet or to do a video appointment with another vet who does so? I think @saroj12 had done that before but I'm not sure if her vet she tried was for US clients only

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone on Facebook group gave me this, and told me it was good for sick birds. I hope this work
This is basically an electrolyte solution. I'm not sure what the baking soda does.

Water with a little bit of sugar and salt will give him some energy and help replace salt lost in urine. It's not a cure, but will hopefully support your bird's body as it tries to heal itself. Unfortunately blood in the droppings is serious. Red blood indicates a problem in the lower part of the digestive system - somewhere in the intestines or near the cloaca. Black droppings would indicate blood that has been partially digested and therefore originating from the upper part of the digestive system.

I really hope that you're able to get to your bird to a vet. I have everything crossed for you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so sorry. I hope you can find a vet. As already suggested, you might be able to do an online vet consult. At least to give you a better idea of what might be going on.