• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie is not drinking water

ReaganS

Checking out the neighborhood
I got a budgie on saturday and I'm worried because he is not drinking water but he is eating. Is this normal since I just got him or is something else going on?

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
I've gotten a couple new budgies very recently.
I can give you advice that the others on this site have been kind enough to give me.

I had one to start with and she didn't eat or drink anything.
She was very lonely because she'd grown up around many many birds.
Since yours is eating maybe you'll be okay. Budgies are supposed to be kept in at least 2s though. I thought I could make it work with just 1 too, but she was too sad and it broke my heart. :(

What're you giving him to drink out of? I've been told covered containers, or ones placed at the bottom of the cage are too scary for birds placed in a new environment to start with, as they can't look for predators.
Put the water up by it's favourite perch(generally the highest one in the cage), it might encourage it.

I've also been told it's common for most budgies to do a lot of drinking in the morning. Maybe people have only seen their budgies drinking 2-3 times in the years they've had them, so he could be drinking without you knowing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Majestic has given you good advice. I am sure you are not watching your bidgie all day and night. Not to worry if you are giving fresh water in the morning and again in the evening in a clean dish all is well.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Majestic has given you good advice. I am sure you are not watching your bidgie all day and night. Not to worry if you are giving fresh water in the morning and again in the evening in a clean dish all is well.
I second this!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
What kind of water dish do you have? Often birds will be afraid or not understand how to use new things. Usually just a single open bowl is perfect. Anything with a hood can scare them. Also the little bird silos often aren't good at first because the bird is already nervous and doesn't know how to use it.

As long as you have a open dish I would do like the other advice has given you and make sure its at a accessible point preferably near the highest perch possible.

Budgies really don't drink a lot of water so I wouldn't expect a big difference in water level and not all birds make the water dirty. Just make sure you keep offering fresh water and try to keep an eye on her. Since she is eating that is most certainly a good sign :)

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
What does his poop/urine look like? Budgies as a species need to drink water but a lot of birds get their water through other means too. I've seen my budgies drink water very rarely. As a matter of fact, I've seen my budgies bathe in the water more than I've ever seen them drink.

Just watch his droppings and make sure there is some white stuff included and it looks normal. If he's thirsty, he'll drink.

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
True to all the above.
Also, this could be a good opportunity to feeding fruits/veges with contain water. I use my mini chopper so the bits are easier for them to eat; just sprinkle a little seed on top to entice....
Keep us posted. :walkdog1:
:fly2:

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Great advice above. Budgies tend to quickly take a sip without you noticing. I find depending on the type of water bowl and where it is placed really affects if a new bird will drink or not.

cool budgie

Meeting neighbors
Most of the budgies like tulsi leaves or tulsi
branch.it will eat that.keep it near to the water.when they eat tulsi leaves some of the water will enter on budgie’s mouth.at that time they have the first contact with water and they like the water.if you are giving pure water,then it’s ok.most of budgies drink water in morning

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
New birds can often avoid eating in front of you for a few days. The budgie and cockatiel i had (different times) seemed to not eat or drink for a few days. Eventually they calmed down and would eat and drink in front of me

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Birds need a lot of time to adjust to a new environment so it's definitely a good sign that your budgie is eating. The birds I have had don't drink a lot and I've always wondered about it. It's usually in the morning after they wake up and sometimes they play and bathe in it.