• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie is licking everything

chigen123

Strolling the yard
My 1-2 year old budgie Dave (I’m not sure his exact age) has been licking things in the room and in his cage obsessively, especially metals and anything reflective or with a luster. I’m not sure if this is normal, so could you tell me if you know?
Thank you very much!

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
I have to say, the title and your post made me laugh! So cute and funny! It's probably not funny to you though!

My budgie Tofu also likes to lick reflective surfaces. It looks almost to me like he thinks his reflection is another budgie and he's trying to preen it? It seems normal-ish to me and he hasn't licked anything harmful so I haven't been concerned.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine don't lick stuff, but then I don't have really shiny stuff.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Something is wrong and this bird needs to be examined by an avian vet soon.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I have to say, the title and your post made me laugh! So cute and funny! It's probably not funny to you though!

My budgie Tofu also likes to lick reflective surfaces. It looks almost to me like he thinks his reflection is another budgie and he's trying to preen it? It seems normal-ish to me and he hasn't licked anything harmful so I haven't been concerned.
Thank you! It’s reassuring to know it’s not an uncommon thing. I greatly appreciate your response.

Benjibird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amber
It seems like Dave may be lacking some essential minerals in his diet that he is trying to find by licking everything. It would be best to bring him to the vet asap especially because you mentioned that it is excessive.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
It seems like Dave may be lacking some essential minerals in his diet that he is trying to find by licking everything. It would be best to bring him to the vet asap especially because you mentioned that it is excessive.
Thank you! We have not visited a vet for him before, but I’ll try to get him treated as soon as possible.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I agree that a vet check is important and better done sooner rather than later.
What is your birds current diet?

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I agree that a vet check is important and better done sooner rather than later.
What is your birds current diet?
We give him a seed diet and have been attempting to get him to try fruits+veggies(which I know he needs) for a while with no success.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The vet will want to know this information about diet. Budgies usually don’t go for fruit. Look into making birdie bread as a way of feeding more veggies and balanced diet.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
The vet will want to know this information about diet. Budgies usually don’t go for fruit. Look into making birdie bread as a way of feeding more veggies and balanced diet.

Thank you very much! You guys are lifesavers.

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
hope your little guy will be okay:( it either sounds like he thinks its another bird and is trying to interact with it or as the others said, it could be a mineral deficiency. hopefully he's just being silly :( good luck

chigen123

Strolling the yard
hope your little guy will be okay:( it either sounds like he thinks its another bird and is trying to interact with it or as the others said, it could be a mineral deficiency. hopefully he's just being silly :( good luck
Thank you!

chigen123

Strolling the yard
My 1-2 year old budgie Dave (I’m not sure his exact age) has been licking things in the room and in his cage obsessively, especially metals and anything reflective or with a luster. I’m not sure if this is normal, so could you tell me if you know?
Thank you very much!
UPDATE: We’ve consulted a vet and we are now feeding him a pellet mix they recommended. He seems to be doing better and I will keep you all updated. Thank you again so much for helping me!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
UPDATE: We’ve consulted a vet and we are now feeding him a pellet mix they recommended. He seems to be doing better and I will keep you all updated. Thank you again so much for helping me!
Curious what pellet mix they recommended- each vet seems to recommend a different pellet and also a different ratio of seed to pellet. Will you share which food your vet recommended?

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
That's great news. Did the vet have any suggestions as to the cause?

chigen123

Strolling the yard
Curious what pellet mix they recommended- each vet seems to recommend a different pellet and also a different ratio of seed to pellet. Will you share which food your vet recommended?
Yes! It is the ZuPreem FruitBlend pellet mix.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
UPDATE: Dave has not been eating much of the pellet mix recently and has been roaming around my room to find spare seeds that I haven’t cleaned up. I gave him some of the seed I had been feeding him previously, and that seemed to help temporarily. Now he’s inactive most of the day, and generally assumes the same position in which he would sleep. I’m not sure what’s going on with him, so I’m once again asking for the help of anyone who reads this. Thank you all very much. Attached is a picture of Dave which I took prior to posting this.

Attachments