• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My Budgie is lethargic and can not longer use his feet properly (sad update #5)

Skiwis

Meeting neighbors
Until last night, everything seemed relatively OK, my Budgie does have a history of issues so this was not completely unexpected. He has an enlarged liver and heart and was bred as a show budgie, so I knew that he was more prone to issues.

Last night, he ended up on the bottom of the cage (not sure if he fell) and usually he just climbs up, but he kept trying to get to a higher perch and couldn't move his feet once he'd flown somewhere.

Even if I put him onto a perch, he's really unstable and I put in a flat piece of cardboard over two perches so that he has somewhere high up to be. He fell of here in the night and I found him turned over and had to turn him the right way up

Please can you have a think at what would be the best thing to do?
I would really appreciate some advice

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like a vet visit really is the best course of action given your birds history and the fact the feet aren’t working.
Could be a stroke, seizure or something else entirely causing the feet to not work but I can only guess as I’m not a vet and I really think with your description a trip to a vet ASAP is the best possible thing to do.

Skiwis

Meeting neighbors
Sounds like a vet visit really is the best course of action given your birds history and the fact the feet aren’t working.
Could be a stroke, seizure or something else entirely causing the feet to not work but I can only guess as I’m not a vet and I really think with your description a trip to a vet ASAP is the best possible thing to do.
I think that it is probably a stroke as it happened very quickly.

I phoned the vet yesterday about possibly taking him in, but with his condition now he can no longer climb onto my hand or a perch and I have to keep an eye on him to make sure that he doesn't fall over. My nearest avian vet is over 20 miles away, so imagine that a car journey that long probably isn't the best idea. I'm afraid that it might be time for him :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you pad a small box well so he can sit in it comfortably then I really can’t see that distance being much of an issue. It’s not a very long distance at all, if I had to weigh up travelling 32km for vet care and advice or letting him live out his days in possible discomfort at home in the condition you describe he’s in I’d certainly pick the 30-40 min trip.
It may not be a stroke or anything I mentioned, it could be something entirely different. I’d call the vet and make an appointment. If the bird can’t move it’s legs then you can easily prop it up all cozy in a small box for the trip.

Last edited:

Skiwis

Meeting neighbors
Hi,
Thank you for your advice. It's all over now. I took him to see an Emergency Vet closer to home as my usual avian vet wasn't open. He was put to sleep, but he'll be happier that way :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so sorry for your loss :(