• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie is always randomly attacking me: help?

Marzipan

Sitting on the front steps
I rescued a budgie a year ago when the owner was going to release the budgie instead of take him to a vet. He was only a month and a bit old and only a little off needing regurgitation.
I am extremely under experienced with birds, and I'm not sure if along the lines I've encouraged biting. But he has moments he will be calmly sitting on me and suddenly attacking me with no reason. It has only been me who has raised him and this has been getting a lot worse as he grows. I don't know what's causing this. Is there anyway to train him to stop?
I attached a video (ignore the noise in the back, I'm in a class)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I only see a picture- there’s no footage.

Marzipan

I rescued a budgie a year ago when the owner was going to release the budgie instead of take him to a vet. He was only a month and a bit old and only a little off needing regurgitation.
I am extremely under experienced with birds, and I'm not sure if along the lines I've encouraged biting. But he has moments he will be calmly sitting on me and suddenly attacking me with no reason. It has only been me who has raised him and this has been getting a lot worse as he grows. I don't know what's causing this. Is there anyway to train him to stop?
I attached a video (ignore the noise in the back, I'm in a class)
Sorry everyone, turns out I can't share videos.
here is a link to a video I posted about it.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks to just be playing and enjoying your shiny ring to me.

Marzipan

Looks to just be playing and enjoying your shiny ring to me.
He does like to play with my ring but then he will turn and bite my other fingers, as seen in 0:04 - 0:16 he will go out of his way to bite down on the bottom part of my ring finger.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's all centred around your ring. What does he do if it's not there?

Marzipan

It's all centred around your ring. What does he do if it's not there?
The ring is really the only thing that seems to distract him from biting me. He does the same on my other hand as well as he will randomly lunge at my ear and neck too. Other times he can be sleeping or preening himself on me and the next he seems to hate me.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
After reading your thread about his messed-up tail I declare your budgie has RBS.
He's likely looking to mate with you but can't work out where or how, then getting frustrated when he doesn't get the desired reaction. The simplest way to reduce his hormones is to limit his daylight hours to 11 or even less if needed.
I think there may be a sticky on the forums about this but I can't seem to find it - need more coffee. Anyone have the link?

RBS=Randy Bird Syndrome.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
After reading your thread about his messed-up tail I declare your budgie has RBS.
He's likely looking to mate with you but can't work out where or how, then getting frustrated when he doesn't get the desired reaction. The simplest way to reduce his hormones is to limit his daylight hours to 11 or even less if needed.
I think there may be a sticky on the forums about this but I can't seem to find it - need more coffee. Anyone have the link?

RBS=Randy Bird Syndrome.
Are you meaning the sex and the psittacine article?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Are you meaning the sex and the psittacine article?
That one too. I may actually have been thinking of the MBS thread, which is irrelevant here. Said I needed coffee! :lol:

Marzipan

RBS=Randy Bird Syndrome.
Ahaha awesome, thank you for telling me. I too, will need a coffee after this. I will definitely start restricting his hours. Thanks for the advice everyone !!