• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie bit my hand really hard. Why?

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I still can’t help but think it’s got to do with you being in her space.
I hate to keep disagreeing with you, but I really don't think that's the reason. She gets really excited when she does it, and she gets upset if I take my hand away.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you just eat something? My dogs will sometimes chomp my hands if my hands smell like food, maybe your budgie did the same thing :roflmao:
No, I didn't :laugh: She does it all throughout the day.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hate to keep disagreeing with you, but I really don't think that's the reason. She gets really excited when she does it, and she gets upset if I take my hand away.
Disagree all you like, makes no difference at all to me- I’m not getting bitten by my bird lol.
Maybe have a good think about what I said and then try to work out why I still have fingers and I am not trying to understand why I’m being bitten.
Trying to play with you might sound cute but birds don’t really bite as a first form of play and certainly not as their first line of communication unless they’re taught over time that their communication is not worth listening to.
Birds don’t naturally enjoy biting their owners nor do they bite each other hard to play. Biting hard is a defensive thing done by birds who are not comfortable.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Disagree all you like, makes no difference at all to me- I’m not getting bitten by my bird lol.
Maybe have a good think about what I said and then try to work out why I still have fingers and I am not trying to understand why I’m being bitten.
Trying to play with you might sound cute but birds don’t really bite as a first form of play and certainly not as their first line of communication unless they’re taught over time that their communication is not worth listening to.
Birds don’t naturally enjoy biting their owners nor do they bite each other hard to play. Biting hard is a defensive thing done by birds who are not comfortable.
I don't know why you're getting so defensive about this. I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm sure that in most situations it would mean that the bird wants me to go away. But, she is not being aggressive. Today she sat on my hand and did her biting thing, but then she discovered my sleeve and started nibbling and pulling on that. My other budgie then joined her, and they were climbing all over my hand and arm, playing with their toys at the same time. I don't see how a bird could be biting aggressively one second, then sit on my arm and play happily the next.

When my birds don't want me to come near them, they turn away and I leave them alone. They have never bitten me to tell me to go away.