• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My boy Lu...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Lucian is doing so well and has been over the last 6 months ..Yet he wont let me touch him ...he is game for everything else ...he is leading ...lunging ...we are working on lunge whip work over his back ...and some rope work ...and he is doing really well with all of that but the touch is only done against his will in a shoot or trailer ...once in there I can touch him and he doesn't freak out very much and allows me to touch him but he wont allow me to touch him outside of a confined area ..I can get very close to him but once I touch him he is gone ...its very slow work and its coming but its slow ...he has been moved out into the pasture with his girlie and wasn't to sure about it but he likes it better now ...he will be starting with a trainer on the 15th so I'm hoping that this touching issue will be worked out before that or with the trainer ...his feet need to be done so badly so I hope we can get past this touching thing and get that looked after before any damage happens ...over all I'm happy with things ..I just thought the touching would have come a lil sooner than this ...but I am learning so much about him and myself and gentling a wildie that I never thought I would ...I am so happy for this adventure it has opened up my life in so many ways I cant even count ...:bliss:

20180618_165928_HDR.jpg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
OOOh,

Alway's wanted a horse!

Dad had 5 wild Brumbies so thats the closest I've been...

If they had a baby then maybe could tame it...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that he will allow touching soon. He is a very handsome guy!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Nice! I’m glad things are moving forward for the both of you.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You'll get there, he cant tell you of his past, but, if I remember, you saved him and hes a mustang? Time. Time . Time. He sure is handsome.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Yes time is all we have and I'm putting in tons of it ...I just cant wait till he touches me that will make my heart sing :bliss::bliss::bliss:

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I raised and trained horses and mules for many decades. If Lucien is a rescued Mustang you will have your work cut out for you. The capture and handling thereafter is often traumatic for the animals. Human touch is associated with pain and discomfort. Best advice I can give (has worked for me in similar situations) is to act like the herd mare would with a member of the herd. Ignore bad behavior and only use posture to communicate likes and dislikes. Horse Follow Closely by Gawani Pony Boy is a book that explains this much better than I can. I have the book and have used his methods to catch horses in an open pasture without chasing them. They came to me out of curiosity more than anything else. Good luck and may your rewards equal or surpass the effort.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hot dang, he's a monster!! How many hands is he? What an absolute beauty.
For a mustang he's come a long way, and I'm super impressed by your progress. Good luck with your trainer, I hope it all works out!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I raised and trained horses and mules for many decades. If Lucien is a rescued Mustang you will have your work cut out for you. The capture and handling thereafter is often traumatic for the animals. Human touch is associated with pain and discomfort. Best advice I can give (has worked for me in similar situations) is to act like the herd mare would with a member of the herd. Ignore bad behavior and only use posture to communicate likes and dislikes. Horse Follow Closely by Gawani Pony Boy is a book that explains this much better than I can. I have the book and have used his methods to catch horses in an open pasture without chasing them. They came to me out of curiosity more than anything else. Good luck and may your rewards equal or surpass the effort.
Yes he is a 15.3hh BLM adopted Mustang and I believe he was traumatized very badly with the round up and all the stuff that happens to them while at the holding facilities ...He has come along way and is progressing every day but it is a slow go going at his pace as I don't want to break him but to gentle him ... like I said the touch is the only thing that is taking so long everything else he is doing so well with ...I have just gotten him to take grain and hay cubes so my hope is that a lil bribery might help us along ...with being around 8 yrs of age I believe that has slowed us as well ...but like I said we have all the time except for his feet ...they really need to be done that's the only time frame working against us right now ... :)