• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent MY BIRDS JUST ATE SOME NON TOXIC ACRYLIC PAINT HELP PLEASE

riotheteil

Moving in
Hi there my cockatiel only 9-10 weeks old just ate some acrylic paint there are no vets available they are all closed and i have no idea what to do i got all the excess paint out of his beak.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
First if you can list a general area where you are then I am sure someone here will be able to help you locate a suitable vet who is open.

How much paint are you thinking your bird ate and can you list the colour and brand of paint? Some paints even though they are non toxic may have some metal in them for colouring so this may make a difference for a bird where it may not be a problem for humans.
What did you use and how did you remove the excess from the beak?

riotheteil

Moving in
in from australia nsw in western sydney, i’m only thinking that he ate a nibble or two,the paint is black and the brand is micador acrylic paint,i used a q tip to remove the excess paint, another thing to mention is that i can see the paint in his crop.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
in from australia nsw in western sydney, i’m only thinking that he ate a nibble or two,the paint is black and the brand is micador acrylic paint,i used a q tip to remove the excess paint, another thing to mention is that i can see the paint in his crop.
That paint shouldn’t harm your bird from what I know but I’m not an expert on it (I did ask someone who uses that paint and is familiar with it and they believe it’s totally safe for people and most likely not going to harm your bird)

Keep an eye on your bird for any changes of behaviours, fluffing up, sitting on the floor, any signs of illness or distress and if there are any at all call your nearest local avian vet or emergency vet who deals with exotics.

Just for future problems- you are best to have as many (avian) vets phone numbers as you can find- where you are you surely will be able to find an after hours or emergency vet if it’s ever needed but it is always really beneficial to have a list of them so you don’t waste time searching for them when you do need one.
I travel 2 hrs one way for my birds vet but thankfully I recently found a vet clinic an hour away that sometimes (once a fortnight) has an avian vet visiting. The closet clinic is no good if I have an emergency which is a bummer

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you have almond paste/butter? If not almond then how about peanut butter?

Feed some (small amount on a teaspoon) to help grab and move the paint from his system- I’m honestly not sure how well it will help with wet eaten paint but it does help to move other foreign objects from their bodies so I don’t see it actually causing any problems even if it doesn’t help.

riotheteil

Moving in
it is a really big relief thank you for the information.Yes i do have some peanut butter, so i just give him a little bit?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is he weaned? It only just occurred to me that you mentioned 10 weeks old.

riotheteil

Moving in
he is weaned i tried giving him some but he didn’t eat it so i just put some on his millet spray.

riotheteil

Moving in
is it also okay if i just give him some water or will it mix with the paint and do something bad?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would personally just leave him to eat and drink when he is ready to. I believe your paint is waterbased paint so letting your bird eat and drink should not cause any extra issues but I can not answer for certain.

If it were my bird I would leave it to eat and drink as normal and monitor behavior and poops.

riotheteil

Moving in
Yep so i’m assuming his poops are gonna be the colour of the paint which is black, will that be a sign that the paint has come out?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How is your baby this morning?

riotheteil

Moving in
I’m happy to say he’s doing great, he’s eating well and most of the paint has left his crop but there is a little bit left, thank you for all the information.