• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My birds flew into the ceiling fan and completely chopped off its wing. PLEASE HELP. (GRAPHIC PHOTO WARNING)

Rio456

Moving in
Please let me know any advice any suggestions just anything really since there are no vets in my country. We wrapped the bird in cloth to stop the bleeding. But there’s nothing else to do. It’s hard to watch the bird suffer and not being able to do anything. :( please help us.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If it's still bleeding, you can try cornstarch to stop bleeding. There are no vets at all? Where are you? Maybe we can help find one.

@Birdbabe @Hankmacaw @Mizzely @tka

Rio456

Moving in
Hi yes I will try cornstarch. Also, is there any way my bird will be able to fly? Is there anything I can do to help get the broken wing back on? And yes there is only one vet in this whole country in a nearby island but shes on holiday till next month. So I have no professional help.
I live in Maldives.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Okay, is it the actual wing or the feathers?

If it's the actual wing your bird needs pain meds, antibiotics, and possibly surgery to keep the rest of the wing from becoming necrotic. Any bird breeders, zoos, pet stores, etc that you can possibly reach out to?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Did they give any ideas of what they would do in this situation?

I'm concerned that without some sort of stitches to cover that muscle and bone your bird is at real risk of a deep tissue/bone infection.

You'll need to keep it as clean as possible, maybe a saline rinse, and get it wrapped to keep bleeding at bay and keep dirt and germs out.

Rio456

Moving in
Yes they also suggested to keep it wrapped so we did that and applied an ointment used for wounds. How often should we clean the area?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My uneducated guess would be to wash and rewrap once a day. Maybe it's twice, I don't know. Avoid things like hydrogen peroxide though.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Mizzely can you put a graphic photo warning in the title???

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He is probably going into shock. Will he eat off of a spoon for you? Pureed veggies, fruits, etc?

Keep him quiet and warm so that his body doesn't need to do it for him.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Also if possible get some fluids in him. Blood loss is fluid loss also. Water and if possible Pedialyte 50 /50 with water.

Rio456

Moving in
Hey guys! He’s doing better. He’s very hyper active like nothing happened. Maybe because he’s still a baby. I’m no expert but I think it’s getting better? There’s no blood anymore. @Birdbabe yes there is no rehabilitation center either. It’s a really huge issue in this country. Thank you for the advice and support! ❤

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think this has already been said but a wound like that will and should be treated with oral antibiotics. There are vets on the internet you can chat with and show your photo of the bird. I know you have a computer.