• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My birds can't come out the cage so i'm not able to clean it

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Can you guys help me, my birds (blaze and scarlet) cage is really dirty and I wanna clean it so bad but I can't because I would need them to come out the cage but they never come out the cage I keep the cage door open 24/7 but they never ever come out. can you guys help me convince blaze and scarlet to come out the cage so I can clean it and so they can be free and fly around.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You need to keep their environment clean even if they prefer to stay in the cage.
My budgie prefers to stay in his cage so I carefully and slowly clean his cage while he’s in there. You should be able to do the same thing with your birds still in the cage as long as you don’t use any chemicals.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I clean my budgie’s cage with them inside most of the time. They just hang out on a perch and watch, lol! I use the hottest water I can stand and a couple of drops of soap. Scrub hard, and dry where needed.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
From your avatar I am assuming you have canaries? Please let me know if that isn't the case. My finches, especially Zippy, get time to free fly my house. After Peppy, another finch, joined us the home dynamic changed. Zippy would fly out and hop around calling to Peppy, but Peppy refused to leave so Zippy would give up and return to the cage. Lately they don't want to leave at all. It makes it complicated when you want to clean the cage well. I ended up placing them in a travel carrier so that I could wash the sides of their cage well and change perches. Luckily the lower portion of the cage has a pull out tray so that is easier. I needed to carrel them into the carrier, delicately. Zippy is pretty human curious but doesn't like to be touched, though I did need to cup him with my hands.

When Zippy was free flying more I used food as a way to return him to the cage. He would fly about for about an hour, then he would get tired and hungry and return for a bite. If you want your canaries to exit, without needing to place them in another carrier, I would place their food and water on a surface that they can see from the cage. They will likely fly out for food and then you can clean the cage. However since they aren't used to flying around your home, they will likely be a bit fearful of the new setting. Make sure you bird-proof; scared birds can get stuck behind things, fly into mirrors and windows, or crash into walls. When you wait for them to return to the cage, using the same food method, it may take hours. If I were you I would clean them on a day when you can stay home and have no commitments, so you can ensure supervision. If it goes well you can start letting them out more often and they will get more confident in the home. However like you said, they may not want to leave.

Edit in response to budgies:
I would say that for wall scrubbing or perch replacing it is a good idea to move canaries or finches from the immediate environment. They are very fragile and will panic when things are moving and can get crush. I personally always move them for major cleans. They can stay in the cage for daily cleaning like the tray, water dishes and the like.

Last edited:

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
From your avatar I am assuming you have canaries? Please let me know if that isn't the case. My finches, especially Zippy, get time to free fly my house. After Peppy, another finch, joined us the home dynamic changed. Zippy would fly out and hop around calling to Peppy, but Peppy refused to leave so Zippy would give up and return to the cage. Lately they don't want to leave at all. It makes it complicated when you want to clean the cage well. I ended up placing them in a travel carrier so that I could wash the sides of their cage well and change perches. Luckily the lower portion of the cage has a pull out tray so that is easier. I needed to carrel them into the carrier, delicately. Zippy is pretty human curious but doesn't like to be touched, though I did need to cup him with my hands.

When Zippy was free flying more I used food as a way to return him to the cage. He would fly about for about an hour, then he would get tired and hungry and return for a bite. If you want your canaries to exit, without needing to place them in another carrier, I would place their food and water on a surface that they can see from the cage. They will likely fly out for food and then you can clean the cage. However since they aren't used to flying around your home, they will likely be a bit fearful of the new setting. Make sure you bird-proof; scared birds can get stuck behind things, fly into mirrors and windows, or crash into walls. When you wait for them to return to the cage, using the same food method, it may take hours. If I were you I would clean them on a day when you can stay home and have no commitments, so you can ensure supervision. If it goes well you can start letting them out more often and they will get more confident in the home. However like you said, they may not want to leave.
yes they are canaries and thank you so much for the advice!!

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
You need to keep their environment clean even if they prefer to stay in the cage.
My budgie prefers to stay in his cage so I carefully and slowly clean his cage while he’s in there. You should be able to do the same thing with your birds still in the cage as long as you don’t use any chemicals.
is sponge with soap and hot water ok? thanks for the advice btw :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
is sponge with soap and hot water ok? thanks for the advice btw :)
Yes that will be fine. I also think fashionfobie has given you the best advice here given you have canaries.... for some weird reason I thought you had budgies, I think I’ve mixed you up with another fairly new member.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Yes that will be fine. I also think fashionfobie has given you the best advice here given you have canaries.... for some weird reason I thought you had budgies, I think I’ve mixed you up with another fairly new member.
yeah fashionfobie did give me some really damn good tips and thank you for your confirmation about the cleaning.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
yeah fashionfobie did give me some really damn good tips and thank you for your confirmation about the cleaning.
Awe well you're welcome! Hopefully it helps you work out what you need to do for your little one :blush2:

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also clean around mine. Just watch they don't yank at your hair like @Zara 's lovebird Aldora :rofl:

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
I also clean around mine. Just watch they don't yank at your hair like @Zara 's lovebird Aldora :rofl:
Ill make sure of that lol