• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Bird Will Only Eat Seeds

Thea2000

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Hurley
Hi everyone! I’m new here and have a question. I brought home my 10 week old lovebird last month and he will not eat any fresh fruits or vegetables, I’m concerned for his health. He loves his seeds but won’t even eat pellets mixed in either. I’ve tried about every fruit and vegetable even intertwining some throughout his cage. In addition he also will not eat any treats whatsoever. If anyone can help please let me know!

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Your lovie is cute. I don't know a lot about young lovies (@Zara ?) but I used to make mini pepper cups for my foster lovie. I'd take a mini pepper and hollow it out and stuff it with chopped up vegetables, a little fruit, some pellets and some seeds. It's good foraging and when looking for seeds hopefully your lovie will try some of the other food. My lovie would eat everything in the cup.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Clare! 1.welcome signs.gif

Were you told what he does eat? What he enjoys? What his treats are?
While he´s little and settling in, keep the base as what he knows, and add extras for him to try (like the pepper cups, fresh veggies etc)
Does he like millet on the sprig/spray?
A tip to get them interested in the veggies is to offer them first thing in the morning, when he is most hungry. Or if he likes eating from you hand, you can give him small pieces.
Be sure to weigh him every now and again if you are worried about his eating habits.

Maybe he just needs to get used to the good stuff being around.
This is also a part of it. Sometimes it just takes time (and lots of trying :lol: )

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He's a baby! You have time. Set out a beautiful plate with veggies on it and munch on them. Your bird will get curious and want to share.

While you're getting him used to veggies, you'll probably waste some. So expect it! I usually recommend that people offer the same type of veggie every day for a week whether he eats it or not.

Try broccoli, steamed sweet potato, tear up some kale leaves, or give him a big wet lettuce leaf to pay with.

Thea2000

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Hurley
Welcome to the Avenue Clare! View attachment 355605

Were you told what he does eat? What he enjoys? What his treats are?
While he´s little and settling in, keep the base as what he knows, and add extras for him to try (like the pepper cups, fresh veggies etc)
Does he like millet on the sprig/spray?
A tip to get them interested in the veggies is to offer them first thing in the morning, when he is most hungry. Or if he likes eating from you hand, you can give him small pieces.
Be sure to weigh him every now and again if you are worried about his eating habits.

This is also a part of it. Sometimes it just takes time (and lots of trying :lol: )

Thea2000

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Hurley
I’ll keep trying! I don’t think he’s ever been introduced to treats or anything like that until I got him. He’s still being hand tamed but is getting better every day.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’ll keep trying! I don’t think he’s ever been introduced to treats or anything like that until I got him. He’s still being hand tamed but is getting better every day.
Lots for him to learn and absorb. Fun times. :)