• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird likes my fingers more than treats..

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
Me again! Sorry for the spam, I'm just curious!

So I've been trying to target train my little buddy, he's been with us for about 9 days.

He likes the target and the vocal praise he gets.
When it comes to treats, he will take them out of my fingers but I've been swapping to holding millet because he seems like my fingers more.

He'll just simply ignore the treat and lick my finger instead.

Now even with millet, he'll walk past it to get to my hand.

He's definitely not looking to do damage, he doesn't bite very hard, just nibbles.

I want to start teaching him to step up and stuff but he just wants to lick/nibble. Even when I try my best to avoid it, it's all he wants!

Any tips?

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
I should also mention he seems way more comfortable with me outside of the cage. Like he'll walk straight up to my face and chirp at me. No stepping up tho, just nibbling

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
With Nerd bird we called those love bites. He used to love to grab, nibble, and preen my fingers and he'd grab my fingers and place them on the itchy spots. If I was being lazy I'd hold up my thumb and he'd scratch himself on it. Sounds like he truly is beginning to trust and like you.

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
They don't seem like love bites in this case.
Earlier he bit me relatively hard, left mark that's still there!

It's almost as if he's trying to figure out what my fingers are, or if they're trust worthy.
It just makes taming him a bit more difficult, since he'll skip the treat and go for my hand instead!

He gets vocal when he wants my hand as well, he starts to chirp a little which he rarely does..

Weird birb

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If he's young he's exploring everything that interests him and he probably doesn't know that he's biting too hard and hopefully with some gentle help he'll quickly figure out he's hurting you and learn to be more gentle. When they peck another bird they hit feathers and like that so they can hit harder to get attention or warn another bird to back off or there's danger.
Hopefully Ring neck owners will jump in with answers for you.

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
He's definitely curious!

I've been trying to use a longer stick for target training and millet as treat, in the hope he doesn't get too tempted to go for me instead.

It works for a little bit and eventually gets too interested in my fingers, I always allow him to touch me but he still doesn't know he's biting too hard, despite my reaction.

Is there anyone with tips?

Trying to get buddy to step up, but I'm just too tasty!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Dobby was taught by Momazon that buffer means he's nibbling too hard or getting too excited. He does still respond to it when we say it and calms down or backs off whatever he's up to that is hurting us. I don't know what you could do to work towards that, I just know that as Lurch grew to trust me and care for me he stopped trying to bite as fast and hard as he did when he first got here and was scared to death.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Nine days is not that long; I wouldn’t have any expectations at this point.

How old is he?

Also if millet isn’t tasty then it’s not a good reward, you need to find another one. Not fingers lol

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
He's about 4 months old.

I've been rotating between millet, almonds, and sunflower seeds and it seems to keep the interest up!

After biting me pretty hard recently I think he's realized he can't do that, he's been very gentle ever since.

I'm just gonna continue with small target training sessions and give him some space to build some trust

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds good! Someone once told me you have to let them think you are the tenderest person EVER when they bite. LOL

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
Great update!

It's now been just over a month since I got my IRN, he's now (sort of) eating his veg, shredding all his toys, and will sit on my shoulder for a treat.
He goes to bed all by himself, (that was one of my biggest issues since it would take hours to get him in).
He's not stepping up to my hand yet, only on sticks that I can hold, but he is very close to stepping up!

Incredible how much change can happen in a month!