• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird keeping dreams almost over

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
T
That is a good idea. I removed some of the nest boxes during the time of there recovery... I felt a bit guilty removing all nest boxes because some still had live eggs in them plus they use there nest boxes to sleep in at night so I didn't want to cause them any stress. I think with zebra finches, they will breed regardless and lay eggs. I'm going to leave them to recover with there nest boxes. They all seem to be full of energy and seem to be quite strong already, even the most poorly finches have got a lot better.
his is brilliant news so happy for you

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Just an update... I finally found out what was causing the illness in my birds after getting the results back from an examination of a dead chick reveled Coccidiosis and not worms although the wormer will have some benefit and may help with the problem like it is doing, however it wont get rid of Coccidiosis. I have been asked to bring in a few more birds for examination before they will prescribe the correct medicine. Birds are still doing fine but the issue hasn't fully gone away.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I got my bird medication so hopefully I can get them treated and I can have a brighter future with bird keeping. Its possible I may not be able to save every single bird, the recent chicks are the most vulnerable... Coccidiosis is a nasty thing because it causes permanent damage to a birds organs of the most severely affected birds, so even after treatment there is no guarantee that there wont be anymore deaths. Breeding production has stopped which is to be expected with Coccidiosis and any new chicks born have a lower chance of survival anyway so just as well really... I just gotta make sure I keep on top of things during, and after treatment.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad to hear you've got the right medicine! :)