• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird isn't getting enough exercise

cracked!

Meeting neighbors
One thing I would suggest is having your most receptive parent read this thread. Especially your initial post. We all have two things in common...we want what's best for your bird and we want what's best for you. I'm sure you're parents agree (with the latter at least). And if they want what's best for you, they have no choice but to want what's best for your bird because that's what's best for you! Now you've got 'em!

I don't know how old you are, but you are behaving in a most adult manner. You're parents have a lot to be proud of in how you're being raised.

That's all I wanted to say except for this...

My cockatiel, TD (short for Terry Dactyl), used to love it when I would drape a paper towel with straps cut into it, over a low perch so he could "peek-a-boo" me. And, even though I was an adult when I became a bird person, I, too, had no idea how expensive bird care was! I can empathize with you're Mom and Dad on that one!

Here's a picture to give you the idea of the paper towel "toy". If you hang it over a fat perch it makes a tunnel your bird can walk through.
View attachment 411821 View attachment 411822
Thanks a lot for the support and fun toy idea!! I'll definitely try it out
I'm currently in the process of slowly convincing my parents to let me take my bird in for a checkup. Hopefully that goes well and I can get him started on a pellet diet shortly after.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Good idea! Hope your parents say yes :goodluck: :D

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
I've been planning on getting a part time job next summer so hopefully I'll be able to make some money then and I'll definitely ask people for bird toys/pellets for presents. I've tried to talk my parents into going to the vet and the importance of it but they really don't seem to see the point. They keep telling me I can just monitor my bird at home, weigh it at home, search stuff up online, etc.
I'll see if I can talk them into taking my bird to the vet again.

I take my bird out about twice a week. It depends on where we go but usually it's to a playground where I'll let my bird play in the woodchips or grass.
In terms of foraging, he's mostly uninterested in most of the toys I've made for him but I've been researching DIY foraging toys and some of them seem pretty simple so I'll definitely try them out.

Thanks for the advice :)

Hey! coming from a fellow minor who used to be in your situation,
My Millie used to not be interested in foraging toys as well! Shes a bit better now, but I have found that food entices her. I took a paper towel and a hair tie and put the paper towel over her food bowl, securing it with the hair tie. I used a scissors to make the tiniest hole so that she could get the hint, and that worked really well.
I reccomend taking your bird out of the cage more often as well. If they live in your bedroom, you could take them out while you read in bed, or spend 30 min to an hour doing something in your room.
you can also get a cat lazer, Ive found birds like to chase those as well!

As for your food situation, ask for pellets for birthdays, holidays, etc.
I got my flight cage from my grandmother for my birthday a few years back, and Ive found that has allowed my bird to have a lot of excersize.

You can also try feeding veggies , or growing some herbs! Millie loves parsley and cilantro (only 'veggies shell eat') and its a fun hobby for you to do in your spare time!

Always make sure to provide plenty of water as well!

you can also hide their food around their cage instead of giving it to them in a bowl. I used to do this with millie, I would put a few pieces in her sleeping hut, and a few in her braided perch etc. Keep things interesting! this allows them to move around and look for their food, and it gives them something to do instead of being bored!

Hope this helps!^^