• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Bird is still scared of my hand!

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
I have an Indian Ringneck that I got when it was around 8 weeks or 2 months old. He is currently 9 months old. He can talk, He can whistle and sometimes sing too! He is generally friendly (other than his really annoying cage aggression), He is not very cuddly but sometimes he does let me cuddle with him like he is a cockatoo but that is extremely rare and happens once every 2 months.

Anyways, the problem that I have is that he is scared of my hand and seems to have an extreme fear of it at times. Usually, my hand can stay close to him if it's in front of him and he clearly can see it, but the problem arises when it is behind him, on top of him, close to his tail and near his wings. He also now won't step up more than once at a time and fly off and hide! This is because I have tried to make him gain some trust by doing step up training which he won't even do anymore half the times.

I don't see much progress if any to be honest as it seems like he will never fully understand my hand is not a threat and knows how to respect his boundaries (for him his boundary is not being touched when he isnt in a cuddly mood) I need help as I really don't want to sell or give him away as I really want him to like me as I like him a lot but it is being really frustrating and problematic :meh::sad9::sad10:

Rio :irnb:

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Remember that hands are scary. Predators have "hands" - things that grab. On top is like the claws of a hawk, behind is a spot he could be leapt at. His wings would only be touched by a mate, not a flock member. So you're fighting instinct :) most interactions should occur with your birds full attention, from the front and by the feet or head.

If you are pushing his boundaries, you are confirming for him that hands are bad. Start from the beginning. Go slowly on his terms.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Mizzely has some great advice.

... but the problem arises when it is behind him, on top of him, close to his tail and near his wings ...
So if that is the problem don't put your hand in these places. You are losing his trust by continuing, as you are finding out. Instead pair your hand with fabulous things... like food/treats to start with. If your hand is only associated with wonderful experiences, then he will look forward to the presence of your hand. :)

Go back to basics re the stepping up. Shape the behaviour. Shaping is breaking down the target behaviour (the step up) into tiny manageable stages. So think about what you are going to use as a reinforcer... will he take a treat from you? Then start shaping... first step, reinforce his looking at your hand (treat!), second step, reinforce his turning his head towards your hand (treat!). Third step reinforce his leaning towards your hand (treat!). Fourth step reinforce his taking half a step towards your hand (treat), fifth step reinforce his taking one step towards your hand (treat!)... and so on until he is putting one foot on your finger, then two feet. Then you would need to shape his staying on your hand whilst you gradually move it. Keep training sessions really short (you might only achieve the first step or two in the first session) and don't move on to the next step until he knows the previous one. As he goes through the steps you reinforce the newest one and you don't reinforce the ones he's already learned. If he fails any step, go back to the last successful one and break the steps down even smaller. Always end on success even if it means cutting a training session even shorter.

Ringnecks aren't usually known for cuddling or wanting to be touched too much. All interaction should be done on his terms (same for every bird). If you force the matter, then you either get a bird that flies away or bites. He is a normal bird. It just sounds like you are going too fast for him.