• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My Bird is Sick & it's My Fault

Wendz

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy
My story is long but I need to explain to get HELP and advice from you all.

It begins in 2011 when I was given this tiny little pink wrinkly chick and was told it was a Hahns Macaw, I honestly didn't think he would live but he did, I hand reared him to the best of my ability with help from Google and You Tube and he grew into this beautiful green , yellow and red bird, I was so proud, this is my soul mate true love, I was a good Bird Mom.

So the first time he molted it was a real shock but only to read up that it was a normal bird thing, so the second time was with not stress at all as I knew now what molting was all about. Three months back I noticed that the feathers on his chest area were looking kinda tatty and once again put it down to molting, how wrong was I, doing some research, I suddenly realised that I had not been such a good Bird Mom after all, it is with great sadness that I have only recently found out that because of what I was feeding him I have basically caused my BIRD's health to deteriorate over time and maybe even an early death, yes I confess that I was only feeding him sunflower seed mix bought from the local pet shop which is very bad for them, and with that I was also giving him, crisps, sweets, meat, cheese, ice cream basically what ever we were eating he had to have as he's spoilt and will scream till he gets what ever your eating, of course none of us walked around eating a carrot stick or brocolli, I'm not a big fruit eater so not much fruit kept around either, never did I offer that to him either ever as a baby now of course he wont touch any fruit or veg at all. HOW DO I CHANGE HIS DIET without him starving ??

He has never had any health problems so I have never taken him to a vet, looking at his condition I took him to our local vet, he was given a Vitamin A injection the vet handled him without a towel just held him in his hand by his head took him out of the room clipped his wings and nails, I could hear him shreeking he came back put him back in the cage and we left. The next day I thought my bird was dying he was crouched over on his perch not moving not a sound from him normally he doesn't keep quiet, his eyes are red, half closed with crusty discharge, his movement very slow and he wont come to me, so back to the Vet I went, the Vet looked at him through the cage and says "I think he may have a virus" he gave me antibiotics for 7 days, I feel there is no change, he spends most of the day standing on his perch almost leaning against a toy or swing and digs in what I am assuming is his ears then bites and chews his feathers, body and feet. WHY what is causing this ?? There is no blood visible, he sleeps alot, his wings virtually consists of a few long feathers which cover his bald back , could the vet have hacked of the other feathers or is he doing it to himself, there are no feathers on his front and its getting worse see photos below.

What happened at the Vet, WHY is he not the same bird anymore, there is something very wrong, will he recover his feathers voice and personality, what has, apart from a bad diet caused this to happen, what is damaged, what am I doing wrong and what do I do to help him, how do I get him to eat correctly, unfortunately I work all day so am only home in the evening, I cannot let him out of the cage during the day as we also have 3 cats and 3 dogs, I have tried new toys he wont go near them hides on the opposite side of the cage. I try spend time with him out the cage over weekends but he shows no interest and bites on the odd occasion

I am the cause of his bad health please HELP ME save him :sad3:

20181118_134815.jpg 20181118_134929.jpg 20181118_134908.jpg

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Can you possibly take him to a avian vet? I can't believe that all of this is due to a diet of seeds. If he has crust in his eyes then I agree it is mostly likely to a virus, but only a proper vet would know.

Not the same bird? He is sick. We are not the same when we are sick. He needs to see a vet who specializes in birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
His condition could very well be from a bad diet. My Jasper (female GW 26 years old) had a diet very similar to your bird's and she had congestive heart disease, atherosclerosis and very poor respiratory function since she was 6 1/2 years old, when she was given to me. She will die long before her natural life span, but she is stabilized now and much, much better and she has had 18 good years.

Start your bird on a good diet NOW - not tomorrow, but today. He should be eating pellets, I prefer Harrison's or Roudybush - no colored pellets. He should get green leafy vegetables every day - Rommaine lettuce, spinach, kale, parsely and lots of yellow and orange vegetables - sweet potatoes, bell peppers, pumpkin. Nutriberries are very good for them and most birds like them.

He needs to go to a different vet judging from what you have told us. You need to find a vet that is experienced with birds or better an certified avian vet.

If you are really interested in saving your bird you can and we will help. One thing I would like you to do is lock the cats and dogs up where they can't get to your bird and let him have his fair share of time out. Don't let the dogs and cats get to him!!!! If the dogs and cats are more important than your bird is just a loser. He needs to go outside 2-5 days a week for 15minutes at a time for vitamin D and calcium adsorption.

Let me know if you are serious and I and other will help as much as possible.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
judging by one thing the vet said I would run as fast as possible to a different vet.
If he said "I think he may have a virus" and gave you antibiotics....
antibiotics do not kill viruses, they only kill bacteria Viral Infections - Why Don't Antibiotics Kill Viruses? - Drugs.com

I have a Hahns and would recommend you start with what Hankmacaw has suggested.
I will add that to get some beta carotene for Vitamin A production into him, try Red Palm Oil. My Hahns loves it.

Wendz

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you for your message yes I am truly dedicated to helping my bird and appreciate all the help I can get the bird is in my room so I can let him out when I get home and he is quiet safe, I have offered him vegetables and fruit even sat and ate with him he takes it but then just drops it on the floor doesn't eat it. I will shop around for pellets not sure if the ones you mentioned are available here in South Africa. I contacted a laddy in Cape Town who provides herbal feed she has a pellet mix with no colourants will enquire as I bought herbal goodies from her for plucking birds.
I am taking him to another vet at a bird sanctuary near me on Monday morning
Quick question do I stop the sunflower seed all together ??

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
right now he doesn't feel well and probably doesn't have much appetite. Let him eat what he will right now.
You need to keep his weight stable.
You should have a digital scale and weigh him weekly whether you change diet or not.
I would not suddenly take his sunflower seeds away all at once but mix them with chopped up veges, fruits, grains, nuts.
It would be great if eventually he did not get sunflower seeds in his food dish but instead got them when he is out and interacting with you.
You can use them as treats when training behaviors. But that is all in the future. He sounds very sick right now.
The pellets my Hahns will eat are TOPs, Caitec, and Zupreem. The best pellet is the one your bird eats.
Right now get to the vet at the sanctuary asap, sooner than Mon if possible.
Monitor weight - is he eating and drinking? poops normal? He will fail quickly if not eating and drinking.
red crusty eyes and not able to stand on his own sounds like he needs help right away.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes. stop the sunflower seed altogether there are many other things you can give him. Pine nuts (a few), Walnuts, pistachios and almonds ore quite good for them. Never ever give your bird any peanuts. Your bird can get Aspergillosis from them or die if the peanut has aflatoxins in it.

The main thing you look for in a pellet are the right ingredients. Here are the ingredients in Harrison's High potency. The ingredients are listed so the first listed has the most in the pellet and down in quantity from there. Pay most attention to the items underlined and in bold. These are the ingredients that make it a complete food. Tops is not a complete food, while Caitec and Zupreem are.

*Sunflower Kernels, *Hull-less Barley, *Soybeans, *Peas, *Peanut Kernels, *Lentils, *Corn, *Brown Rice, *Toasted Oat Groats, *Alfalfa, *Psyllium, Calcium Carbonate, Bentonite, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), *Sea Kelp, Salt, *Algae Meal, Vitamin/Mineral Supplement (Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate and *Sunflower Oil)

*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 18%, crude fat (min.) 15%, crude fiber (max.) 6.5%, moisture (max.) 10%.

You can feed him in the morning and if there is someone who at home who can take the fresh stuff out before it spoils feed him his fresh stuff. Mix some pieces of walnuts or pistachios (Doesn't need to be sunflower seeds). Give him access to pellets at all time. Then you can give him more fresh stuff at night.

Get some Milk Thistle Extract (liquid non-alcoholic)
Red Palm Oil - should be lots of that in Africa
and some Vetriscience DMG
All can be bought on Amazon. If you have Amazon in Africa

I goota go now will check on you in the morning - it's 5:12pm here right now.

Wendz

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy
He is eating and drinking as normal poop got a bit soft when he was on antibiotic and was a light green colour but is returning to normal colour again crust gone from the eye but it still looks red inside the eyelid . he scratches in his ear alot goes into a trance like state doing it why do they do that he's always done that though.
I have pellets that I got called Monati tiny brown ones , I have just gone on leave so I am home to monitor should I try him on them first thin in the morning with a few sunflower seeds

Wendz

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy
Yes we got Amazon am going to send you pictures of items I bought and please comment use or dont
I will also find out where else I could get things you suggested later its 2:22am here so off to bed now
so no sunflower seed for breakfast just pellets snd if he wont eat them what then I was also told to get a soft food which I did try he picked at it a little thank you again for you help

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That sounds like pretty good stuff.
Monati Soft Bird Food contains these essential nutrients and Vitamins per Kilogram.

Protein 190g Vitamin B12 0.02mg Biotin (H) 0.25mg
Lysine 11g Pyroxidine (B6) 11mg Zinc 90mg
Fat 68g Vitamin C 200mg Folic Acid (M) 2mg
Fibre 50g Calcium 12g Cobalt 0.45mg
Moisture 110g Magnesium 0.2g Pantothenic Acid 25mg
Vitamin A 15000IU Potassium 8.5g Niacin 180mg
vitamin D 1400IU Sodium 1.5g Iodine 0.6mg
Vitamin E 200mg Chloride 2.25g Choline 1000mg
Vitamin K 3mg Iron 80mg Selenium 0.2mg
Thiamine(B1) 5mg Copper 7mg
Riboflavin(B2) 15mg Manganese 130mg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
right now he doesn't feel well and probably doesn't have much appetite. Let him eat what he will right now.
You need to keep his weight stable.
You should have a digital scale and weigh him weekly whether you change diet or not.
I would not suddenly take his sunflower seeds away all at once but mix them with chopped up veges, fruits, grains, nuts.
It would be great if eventually he did not get sunflower seeds in his food dish but instead got them when he is out and interacting with you.
You can use them as treats when training behaviors. But that is all in the future. He sounds very sick right now.
The pellets my Hahns will eat are TOPs, Caitec, and Zupreem. The best pellet is the one your bird eats.
Right now get to the vet at the sanctuary asap, sooner than Mon if possible.
Monitor weight - is he eating and drinking? poops normal? He will fail quickly if not eating and drinking.
red crusty eyes and not able to stand on his own sounds like he needs help right away.
That is also my advice. Never change a sick birds diet. It can kill him!
And it's much better to add new healthy things and be sure he eats them before removing something. Sunflower will not kill him, they are not that bad.

Your priority at the moment should only be to find a good avian vet and take him their ASAP!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The ear thing is probably because most birds love to have their ears scratched so he's probably just scritching it himself. I agree, right now he needs whatever he likes to eat that won't hurt him and you can slowly add better things to his diet as he starts doing better

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Thank you for your message yes I am truly dedicated to helping my bird and appreciate all the help I can get the bird is in my room so I can let him out when I get home and he is quiet safe, I have offered him vegetables and fruit even sat and ate with him he takes it but then just drops it on the floor doesn't eat it. I will shop around for pellets not sure if the ones you mentioned are available here in South Africa. I contacted a laddy in Cape Town who provides herbal feed she has a pellet mix with no colourants will enquire as I bought herbal goodies from her for plucking birds.
I am taking him to another vet at a bird sanctuary near me on Monday morning
Quick question do I stop the sunflower seed all together ??

Hey there! I believe the Pet Fairy sells pellets. She's based in SA and does free delivery

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your bird. Hope that transitioning him to a healthy diet will help.
What types of tests did the vet do to determine he had a vitamin A deficiency and to also determine that he had a virus/infection?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I contacted a laddy in Cape Town who provides herbal feed she has a pellet mix with no colourants will enquire as I bought herbal goodies from her for plucking birds.
What herbal concoction are you giving him?