• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird is scared of me

skidoo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Guthrum
Hey my name is guthrum i live in norway and i like birds. I have a bird called Heimal She can step up on my finger but she resist before doing it and sometimes she will fly away i don't know why I'm afraid that she is scared of me or something she has been with me for a year and a half and i do not put her in a cage i just keep her in my room she sometimes try to come close to me but then fly away. Can anybody help me please?

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Hi Guthrum!

Welcome to AA!
:starshower: :starshower: :starshower:

By your description Heimal does seem not to have ample trust in you. (You most likely unintentionally did something to make her loose her trust in you, or she never trusted you enough in the first place).
With patience and persistance all this can be dealt with :).
Make sure she is comfortable in her surrondings and has enough "safe places". Remove anything she isn't really comfortable with. Set up a daily routine.
Try to observe your bird, to the point that you are sure you're not invading her comfort zone and try not to do stuff that scare her. If she gets really scared of something stop doing it immediately.
Make sure that every time she steps up she does so willingly (reinforced with lots of praise and a favourite treat). One really good step up a day is better than a thousand failed attempts.
Have you considered target and clicker training as a bridge in communication?
When she does fly to you remain completely still and talk very softly to her. With enough repetitions (of her choosing) she'll learn that you're nice to hang out with and will want more.
Each bird is an individual, like we are and some just never like to be handeled.
Let go of the expectations you have for her and enyoj her for what she is. In time and with patience you will both have grown.

good read on what khizz is doing with her birds..

and progress

Goodluck!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What type of bird, and how old was she when you got her?
There's many reasons a bird might not be handtame.

You'll get more suggestions if we know her and your background.

Time and patience is the key, and I do realize 1.5 years is a bit of time.
She may never be one that likes handling.

What have you done to earn trust so far?
Have you ever tried some clicker training?

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
I don't think she was very tame at the begining. what i would do is rebuild her trust, such as go through the taming process again or have a hands off relationship with her until you think she is ready to reteach step up.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I too would be interested in what species of parrot/bird she is. See if you can make it reinforcing (rewarding) to be around you. With a bird that is not that tame, food is a good reinforcer to try. What are her absolutely favourite food/treats? What does she pick out of the food bowl first? Would she take these items from you if you offered her one with your fingers? Make the treat big to start off with so she does not have to come too close to your fingers. If she likes apple, for example, start off offering her a big slice. Later when she is used to eating it with you holding it, you can make the slice smaller and smaller so that she gradually gets closer/used to your fingers. If she is a smaller bird, you could try a long piece of millet spray and gradually shorten it. Then you can use the treat as a reinforcer for doing behaviours you want to see more of, like hanging out with you, or stepping up, etc.

skidoo

Real Name
Guthrum
I too would be interested in what species of parrot/bird she is. See if you can make it reinforcing (rewarding) to be around you. With a bird that is not that tame, food is a good reinforcer to try. What are her absolutely favourite food/treats? What does she pick out of the food bowl first? Would she take these items from you if you offered her one with your fingers? Make the treat big to start off with so she does not have to come too close to your fingers. If she likes apple, for example, start off offering her a big slice. Later when she is used to eating it with you holding it, you can make the slice smaller and smaller so that she gradually gets closer/used to your fingers. If she is a smaller bird, you could try a long piece of millet spray and gradually shorten it. Then you can use the treat as a reinforcer for doing behaviours you want to see more of, like hanging out with you, or stepping up, etc.
She is a
Cockatiel

Female

skidoo

Real Name
Guthrum
What type of bird, and how old was she when you got her?
There's many reasons a bird might not be handtame.

You'll get more suggestions if we know her and your background.

Time and patience is the key, and I do realize 1.5 years is a bit of time.
She may never be one that likes handling.

What have you done to earn trust so far?
Have you ever tried some clicker training?
Cockatiel

When i first bought her she was very friendly but too shy, then the next die i fed her lettuce as a treat she like it, after a week she became aggresive. Maybe i had done something wrong and made her lose trust in me or something