• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird is not warming up to me and it's been almost 2 years of having her.

ApexGaming

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
I've had this bird for almost 2 years and she's not warming up to me at all. I've tried hand feeding, she hisses at me all the time and is always staying in the cage or a place far away from me. She flys to me now and then and walks on my arm and chills on my shoulder sometimes. I just don't feel a bond with my bird and I feel like it hates me sometimes. I nearly fricking cried a few times. Does anybody have any suggestions?

ApexGaming

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
Here's the cage but I'm planning on putting natural wood perches around the room and keeping the cage open almost 24/7. Just so I don't really have to worry about getting a new cage.

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there,

Aww what’s her name?

Have you ever tried target training? It’s fun, for you and the bird, and might help build the bond.

she flies to you so that’s promising. It means she trusts you. Why do you think she hisses at you? Are you coming at her too fast?

Do you ever share a plate of fresh foods with her, bits of broccoli or fruit? I do this with my tiels, except now they think if I’m bringing their bowl of food or even water, I should stand and hold it so they can eat or drink from it! Little divas!

Girl tiels are the most loving, but they all have their own personality. My 3 are very different from each other. Two of them prefer my husband. One of those will come to people willingly. The other one only when she wants to/ and she squeals if you ask her to step up.
The third one can’t fly, so she always wants to be on a person but someone has to go get her lol.

ApexGaming

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
Hi there,

Aww what’s her name?

Have you ever tried target training? It’s fun, for you and the bird, and might help build the bond.

she flies to you so that’s promising. It means she trusts you. Why do you think she hisses at you? Are you coming at her too fast?

Do you ever share a plate of fresh foods with her, bits of broccoli or fruit? I do this with my tiels, except now they think if I’m bringing their bowl of food or even water, I should stand and hold it so they can eat or drink from it! Little divas!

Girl tiels are the most loving, but they all have their own personality. My 3 are very different from each other. Two of them prefer my husband. One of those will come to people willingly. The other one only when she wants to/ and she squeals if you ask her to step up.
The third one can’t fly, so she always wants to be on a person but someone has to go get her lol.
Hi! Her name is Angel. I put fresh fruit and dried fruit in her food bowl now and then but she's too scared to try it. And also, what do you mean by target training?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Awww I have an Angel too, but mines a Pionus.

here’s a good video about target training:

There’s also a lot of information here on AA at the Training Court

ApexGaming

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
Awww I have an Angel too, but mines a Pionus.

here’s a good video about target training:

There’s also a lot of information here on AA at the Training Court
I tried it out and I'm making progress. I don't really know what treats my bird likes so I'm using a millet