• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird is not going back in his cage

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
I had my bird for almost a year now and he never had this problem before. After when I played with my bird, he won’t go back in his cage. He starts to bite me and hiss at me when I place my hand near him. He knows when I’m going to put him back in his cage, because he doesn’t bite me otherwise. It takes about 20 minutes to get him in his cage, I try to use tricks like treats, whistling, and sometimes I need to call me parents to come and help me. I feel like I’m going to lose our trust because he keeps biting me. I’m not sure what to do, if anyone has any tips and tricks please let me know. (Or why he is doing this)

jeffsf

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeff
He might be doing it because going into the cage means he's losing something that he values. I don't know what it is, but it could be your attention as easily as it might be the "freedom", or just a better view.

Getting him into the cage forcibly probably isn't going to help much with other than the immediate need.

One thing that might help longer term is to make his returning to his cage a positive thing. A set of treats given with him back in the cage, which should probably include a lot of attention rather than walking away, may help him with understanding that returning to the cage is a good thing. Maybe even hang out nearby for a while doing other things.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you spend time with him when he's in his cage? Often birds associate cage with you going away. So spending time with him when he's in his cage too may help.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Pico was like this and someone on here I can’t remember who said about putting a perch on door to cage pico does there for a treat and I just shut door works well was a brilliant idea I don’t shut it everytime though I do it a few times while he’s out so he doesn’t know when it will happen or I play with his favourite cat bell balls
at bottom of his cage and he comes to look or put his favourite foraging toy in his cage finger trap stuffed with millet this gets both pico and indie back in

hopefully these help you too try not to chase him around though if he flys off just sit by cage wait him to come back and try again good luck obviously just loves being out with u