• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Bird is Chewing His Nails

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Recently I've been noticing that my bird has been chewing/picking at his feet. He doesn't have any kind of foot disease that would make him do this. (he has all natural branch perches of different widths and textures) His last nail trim was around late March, not that long ago. The nail chewing has become more and more obsessive, but there are no scabs on his feet from it. I'm not sure if it's my dry climate or him feeling uncomfortable with slightly longer nails. What could be causing him to do this?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ve heard that some birds will chew the longer tips off their nails but I’ve never witnessed it myself.
If there’s no damage being done and it’s not the only thing he does all day then maybe it’s nothing to worry about?
I’d certainly be checking the feet are definitely ok, making sure the nails are a nice length (not too long) and remembering to mention it to the vet though.

Oscarbird

Thank you! His nails aren't that long, and they don't make his skin bleed when he scratches himself. I'll mention it to his vet when we schedule the next appointment. Thanks again for the advice!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My youngest hen bites her nails to trim them. She is the only one who has had her nails trimmed in the past.

I wonder if your bird is trying to sharpen his nails to better his grip?

Oscarbird

One thing I did forget to mention- his avian vet said at his last vet visit (late March) that I could always file down his nails with a nail file if I thought they were uncomfortable for him. I tried to do this once, and my bird refused. I'm not sure if I should be filing down his nails though- what do you guys think?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
My bird gets his nails trimmed at the vet about every 5-6 weeks. He starts chewing at his nails once they get too long for his liking but I don't think he's capable of trimming them himself cause he's pretty gentle. But that's usually my sign of knowing it's time to call the vet for the next pedicure. Right after the trim he doesn't mess with his nails at all. If your bird allows you to file them you can definitely give it a try. My bird won't stay still for that

Oscarbird

I'll probably schedule the next visit sometime next week then. His vet just recommended that we file to save up on pedicure bills! Thanks for the advice @CrazyBirdChick, it is much appreciated :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you want to save on bills for nail filing, try a Hagen pedi-perch (sometimes called living world). All of my birds have these and none need their nails clipping.

Oscarbird

We actually have a pedi-perch in his cage! It's the one with the smooth top, (the living world one) and it's by his food bowl so he gets the most use out of it. Maybe he doesn't use it enough... thank you though, @Zara!

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sometimes it takes moving it a few times to find a good spot :)

Oscarbird

Thank you! I'm re-arranging his cage sometime next week so I'll be sure to try and move it to a better spot.

Oscarbird

Oscar has a nail appointment at his avian vet tomorrow morning. I'll ask the vet about his chewing problem. He's not doing it much anymore, but I'll ask anyways :)

Oscarbird

Vet said that his nail chewing might just be a habit. They checked his feet for fungus and he was fine and healthy. Besides getting his nails done, Oscar also got his beak trimmed slightly, since his vet said it was a little long. We also got some more nutri berries, which Oscar was pleased about :D