• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird has suddenly regressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PablosMom

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
My canary wing just turned a year old recently and all of a sudden he is needier than he ever was as a baby. The past few days all he wants to do is be on or near my husband or I...climbing our hair, nibbling our ears, cuddling up and falling asleep, or just sitting on us preening. I know none of this is bad behavior but he used to play independently on our kitchen counter with his legos and now he will only play independently in his cage. There are small leather toys and buttons in various perching places around the house but he loses interest in playing with them unless he can sit on us while he plays with them. He is also quick to get nippy when I try to get him off of me for whatever reason but saying "no biting" to him before I ask him to step up helps most times. Once he is off I try to set him somewhere nearby and hand him a toy but he always drops it and flies right back to me in a minute or two.

Is his age the reason for the sudden neediness? Or is it something we have done? The only thing different in his environment is he got a bigger cage that is 23 x 34 (petco designer cockatiel cage) two weeks ago. His previous cage was so shamefully small I don't even want to state the dimensions. (But I know better now thanks to this forum!) He gets the same amount of out of the cage time everyday and I am often in the room with him even when he's inside his cage. The only other change I can think of is he has just started to fly.

As I type he is in his cage in the other room squawking for me. :(

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
I don't know much about how age effects behavior, but from my experience I would guess it's his flight ability. Now that my Isaac is flying, he is a lot more needy now, too. I don't think it'd be the cage (and the important thing is that once you realized he was in too small of a cage, you fixed it :). I know I am not much help, but that is what I know.

PablosMom

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
No, you definitely helped. I feel better to know that it's not unusual for him to act this way now that he's flying. :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
He is spending time with his flock. It is starting into breeding season, you know.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Yes they go through phases like humans and we need to recognise what is happening and that can be a huge help in understanding their behaviour.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Age plays a big role in behavior, so does the season.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.