• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Bird Eats Better Than I DO!

lpolliard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leroy
So why is his cholesterol through the roof? His labs over the last 2 1/2 years has been 300 then 1300 and most recently 2500. As his diet improved his cholesterol increased? He is currently getting a healthy 'chop' made mostly of greens (4 tablespoons), 3 pieces of bow tie pasta, a quarter of a small birdie bread muffin, and a small piece of cooked egg white. One egg spread out over a week. After his last lab I stopped giving him the yoke. I have cut out sunflower seed as a training treat and replaced it with safflower. Snacking on junk food is now minimal. If we share a nibble it is usually a fruit. I am thinking of reducing his pasta and eliminating the egg all together. Any other suggestion? Supplements that might help? Birdie Lipitor?

A side note, Chico was diagnosis with fatty liver disease a year ago. I am not sure how this effects his cholesterol if at all. For this reason I started adding Aloe Detox, a liver supplement, to his water but I questioned the amount he was actually ingesting. There has been improvement in all other areas of his lab results which I attribute to a better diet and supplementation of liver detoxifying milk thistle, dandelion, and aloe in the form of Aloe Detox, milk thistle seed and fresh dandelion. My vet suggested adding milk thistle extract on our last visit after I expressed concern over his high cholesterol, another liquid. After some resourcing I found you can get milk thistle and dandelion root powder in gel caps. These can be pulled apart and sprinkled over his food. For the last month I know he has been ingesting his dose. I hope this will further improve his labs.

Here is a link to past related posts.
Successful Diet Change | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

lpolliard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leroy
IMG_0048.jpg
Bronzing is a symptom of a liver issue and as you can see he has a lot of bronzing go on. Chico is going through a heavy molt right now and already looks much better than this photo. I am hoping with the milk thistle supplement his feathers will come in and stay beautiful longer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica