• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird dog..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Strolling the yard
Jake our dog loves birdy pellets. He goes around and eats the ones the fids throw to the floor. Are they ok for him to eat? sure hope so cuz he is such a good helper cleaning up their mess.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
One of my dogs does the same thing. He goes around to all the bird cages and cleans up what they throw out. I have not noticed any problems because of it. I figure he's helping me out with keeping the floor clean...LOL

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
my three dogs hoover up almost any of the foodstuff that my lot throw out. Sometimes delibrately I might add to feed the dogs!
It has never done them any harm, and cannot see that it is dangerous for them, after all it is not a lot is it? As you say saves wasting it and it serves the purpose of giving the dogs the added food!

silvermuse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annemarie & John
I don't believe it could be harmful because birds can't eat many of the same things dogs are not allowed to eat, such as onions and chocolate. It might be best to train them not to eat it because they might consider it extra food for them and they'll do it all of the time ...I guess just to be on the safe side. Our dog wants to do the same thing too, but we have to let him know that it is not his food. He's a big food lover and doesn't mind cleaning up either.
:lol:

John

Ashley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
both of my dogs do this as well. and my cockatoo eats the dogs food so go figure....usually we have to put the dog food up

Annie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annie
my pup does the same thing!! Usually when his head goes in I'll put out my vacuum cleaner and then he runs away from that thing. :D

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
Mine also do the same thing. I did have a problem about 2 years ago with my chihuahua. She was throwing up a little blood and passing blood. Couldn't figure out what the problem was. After 2 vets saw her in our local area and couldn't find a thing wrong with her, I took her to my old vet 6 hours away! After several test and x-rays he finally said it was due to eating sunflower seeds or hulls. They were scratching her insides and causing the bleeding. I kept her away from the cages, vacuumed 10 times a day and all is well. Oh yeah, it cost me over $1400.00 to find out what the problem was. I'm sure it could have been serious if we didn't find out what it was, and if she kept eating them.
AND, only one of our birds gets sunflower seeds. He is a grey that will not switch over completely from them, although he is getting less every day and more fresh veggies like the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.