• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird doesnt have feathers on his neck

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

My bird has lots of areas in his neck where the skin can be seen if I lift the feathers the wrong way like in your pic.
Can you get a better pic, I don’t think there’s anything wrong but a better pic would be good.
Is the lack of feathers fairly even around the neck or is it just one spot?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Yes, some more pics would be helpful.

Mangoconu3

Moving in
Real Name
zz
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

My bird has lots of areas in his neck where the skin can be seen if I lift the feathers the wrong way like in your pic.
Can you get a better pic, I don’t think there’s anything wrong but a better pic would be good.
Is the lack of feathers fairly even around the neck or is it just one spot?
Hi its on both sides of his neck area
i will take a picture tomorrow!!! thank you so much for replying to my post i didnt think anyone would want to reply :) the patches arent very big and their rather soft. it seems rather around the neck but more so on the left and right sides nd not so much on the front and back of his neck

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi its on both sides of his neck area
i will take a picture tomorrow!!! thank you so much for replying to my post i didnt think anyone would want to reply :) the patches arent very big and their rather soft. it seems rather around the neck but more so on the left and right sides nd not so much on the front and back of his neck
I’ll see if I can get my phone close enough to Burt tomorrow without him being a poop and show you his neck. It will depend on if he is adamant on killing the phone though. He has some bareish patches on his neck like most birds but his skin doesn’t look as red as your birds skin in the picture. Could be lighting.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Best pic I could get (after bribing with an almond lol) D4DE24B8-F6F8-4CAA-9E26-9AD9D6409802.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have a photo of your bird dry and without your fingers pushing them up? There are areas of the body, like the front of the neck, under the wings, etc, that naturally have less feathers. The feathers in your second photo are still growing in and your bird will remove the keratin sheath when they are ready.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you have a photo of your bird dry and without your fingers pushing them up? There are areas of the body, like the front of the neck, under the wings, etc, that naturally have less feathers. The feathers in your second photo are still growing in and your bird will remove the keratin sheath when they are ready.
The second pic is Burt :lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm gonna have a blast when he finally lets me help with all the pins he has again...... one of my fav ways to pass the time is crushing them sheaths :D
For sure!! Few things better than going after pins!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'm gonna have a blast when he finally lets me help with all the pins he has again...... one of my fav ways to pass the time is crushing them sheaths :D
I love scratching pinnies! But man, touch the fresh ones by accident and you'll pay dearly!

Mangoconu3

Moving in
Real Name
zz
Hi ! I'm not sure I can get a proper picture. mango is rather not happy to be touched on his wings. The second picture is not my bird :) My bird is a sun conure whos about 6 months old. I was not sure if some birds have small patches of no feathers on their neck and I'm unsure if it was a medical issue or not. thank you for your help <3 oh and in addition he does not look the least bit bald when his feathers are dry, just when I lift them at the side of his neck

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes if he only looks bald when you lift the feathers that's normal

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi ! I'm not sure I can get a proper picture. mango is rather not happy to be touched on his wings. The second picture is not my bird :) My bird is a sun conure whos about 6 months old. I was not sure if some birds have small patches of no feathers on their neck and I'm unsure if it was a medical issue or not. thank you for your help <3 oh and in addition he does not look the least bit bald when his feathers are dry, just when I lift them at the side of his neck
So now can we have some more dry birdie pics ??? :loveshower:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Those feathers (and the bald patches) look normal to me. Did you see how my bird has some bald patches on his neck too? That was not even the best bald area he has lol. They all have areas on their body where less feathers grow.

Your bird is a cutie! Feel free to share as many pics of your baby as you like, we love bird pics here :)