• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird doesn’t want to eat. What can i do

amandita24

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda De La Oliva
Hi im new bird owner. And i got a baby green cheek conure, he’s around 2 months now. A few weeks back he flew into a glass door. And he was unconscious for a few hours, i took him to the vet the doctor said he was fine, but send him some meds for the pain and things like that. He is still being hand fed. Ever since then he doesn’t want to eat, i have to force him to eat which i hate doing but I don’t want him to die. So my question is how can i get him to eat, and could it be possible that the medication be the cause of him not wanting to eat bc i would give the medication in a syringe and then right after hand feed him. ? Im really worried about him.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
How old is this little one?
What formula are you feeding?
Meds can make them lose their appetite.
This should be taken back to vet and make sure everything is healthy with this babe.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What medication is he on? Did the doctor tell you that he had brain damage, or a hematoma on the brain, or a stroke? You must realize that any damage to the neural system takes a long, long time to heal. It may take months for him to heal and for you to reteach any skills that he onece had.

Talk to your vet about the problem - we are not vets and cannot diagnose your baby.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
First of all...take a deep breath...and think of a plan.
You must contact a vet an d tell him / her about your concerns.
I know it's hard when the young ones get picky...but just wait until they get older.
( and wiser)
Milton, my U2, actually throws pellets...from six fett away...at my head...and he aims well!

amandita24

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda De La Oliva
How old is this little one?
What formula are you feeding?
Meds can make them lose their appetite.
This should be taken back to vet and make sure everything is healthy with this babe.
He’s around 2 months old, and regular one from the pet store. It doesn’t say the brand. Yes im gonna have to.

amandita24

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda De La Oliva
First of all...take a deep breath...and think of a plan.
You must contact a vet an d tell him / her about your concerns.
I know it's hard when the young ones get picky...but just wait until they get older.
( and wiser)
Milton, my U2, actually throws pellets...from six fett away...at my head...and he aims well!
Hahahahahahahah. Wow. And you understand the struggle. Yes it is very frustrating specially with a green cheek because they’re so little. And i have to be careful not to harm him

amandita24

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda De La Oliva
What medication is he on? Did the doctor tell you that he had brain damage, or a hematoma on the brain, or a stroke? You must realize that any damage to the neural system takes a long, long time to heal. It may take months for him to heal and for you to reteach any skills that he onece had.

Talk to your vet about the problem - we are not vets and cannot diagnose your baby.
No damage, hemorrhage or broken bones thank god. He was on pain medication and calcium. He’s very energetic the only problem is that he doesn’t want to eat.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Hahahahahahahah. Wow. And you understand the struggle. Yes it is very frustrating specially with a green cheek because they’re so little. And i have to be careful not to harm him
GCCs are tough "little" birds...there are a LOT of people right here that can testify to that!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Try feeding him with formula and spoon. Its the syringe he is fearing. Use a Dixie cup with filled with formula and plastic spoon, throw away every time and make it fun. You take a pretend bite, announce how nummy it is, ask him if he wants a bite. If you are mixing formula with water, try unsweetened apple juice room temperature with the hot water. Or try some pureed baby veggies or fruit mixed with formula. Sometimes its just small change in the mixture that helps get back to eating.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Is your baby just ignoring your handfeeding, or all food?
8 weeks I believe is around the time Conures start to wean.
Has he any interest in other foods (what you're eating), does he nibble on his solid foods?
Is he flying much? Weaning babies often lose interest for a time as flight time increases.
They usually regain interest in food shortly afterwards.

There may be a medical reason for this, and your vet will help you with that.
But this also could be a natural occurrence, so take that also into consideration.

Is the weight loss drastic?
Are there other worrying signs you're seeing (like lethargy, loss of balance?, etc.)

amandita24

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda De La Oliva
Is your baby just ignoring your handfeeding, or all food?
8 weeks I believe is around the time Conures start to wean.
Has he any interest in other foods (what you're eating), does he nibble on his solid foods?
Is he flying much? Weaning babies often lose interest for a time as flight time increases.
They usually regain interest in food shortly afterwards.

There may be a medical reason for this, and your vet will help you with that.
But this also could be a natural occurrence, so take that also into consideration.

Is the weight loss drastic?
Are there other worrying signs you're seeing (like lethargy, loss of balance?, etc.)
Yes he loves to fly. And no i put out food for him and he doesn’t. Updated he is eating more im trying to get him to eat on his own. But he doesn’t want to I believe he is 3 or 4 months old.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yes he loves to fly. And no i put out food for him and he doesn’t. Updated he is eating more im trying to get him to eat on his own. But he doesn’t want to I believe he is 3 or 4 months old.
Enjoy this time...it'll never come your way again! :)