• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 My bird (cockatiel) got hit by the ceiling fan

ArulAdithy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Arul Adithya
HI, my bird named JD just a few mins ago got hit by the ceiling fan. It is night in my country so all the vets are closed. I have applied a antiseptic healing solution, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW???
Someone please help me bird hurt 2.jpeg bird hurt 1.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hello and welcome to the forum. Please remember that people will come by and comment as they are able to, so posting multiple times in a row will not get you an answer sooner.

As for your bird, keep him warm and in a small cage (travel carrier size, a tote with air flow would work as well) to keep him from moving around too much. Make sure he is eating and drinking. Have you called the vets to see if they have an emergency line? Is he actively bleeding?

If they don't, the best you can do is stop any bleeding and keep him calm and safe until morning.

ArulAdithy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Arul Adithya
Hello and welcome to the forum. Please remember that people will come by and comment as they are able to, so posting multiple times in a row will not get you an answer sooner.

As for your bird, keep him warm and in a small cage (travel carrier size, a tote with air flow would work as well) to keep him from moving around too much. Make sure he is eating and drinking. Have you called the vets to see if they have an emergency line? Is he actively bleeding?

If they don't, the best you can do is stop any bleeding and keep him calm and safe until morning.
He is not bleeding externally, the vet apparently does not want to pick up

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is good that he is not bleeding externally. If there is not an answering system at the vet that may explain why no one is picking up.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you get a hold of a vet and that your tiel is ok.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Is there an Er vet in your area? I would keep him quiet in a carrier but do not add additional heat. You don’t want to increase swelling. If you happen to have Celebrex or metacam, you can give them a dose. Keep an eye on him for 72 hours for abnormal behavior even after seeing a vet.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Warm ,quiet and hydrated. No heating pad or external heat source. Get a hold of your vet ASAP in morning. JD could have concussion and swelling on the brain. And please do not run ceiling fans when bird is out of cage.
ETA: Agree with @webchirp. Add before I read other answers.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It dosent look too bad, I've seen way worse. There seems to just a "graze" and some feathers missing, his eyes look ok, But, I AM NOT A VET..you'll need to monitor him for the next 24 hours,,,only you know him, anything weird or off then off to the vet! Is he acting normal, eating, drinking? Poos ok? Pupils in the eyes matching? Can he perch normally? Keep him in a smaller safe cage for now..You
dodged the bullet! Never, ever have the ceiling fans on when your bird is out! Hope he will be ok. :hug8:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Please update

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator