• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent MY BIRD CHIPPED HER BEAK

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
Hi I need help I can’t take my bird to the vet. She was in her cage and I guess she got scared that she started to fly all over. When I went to check on her her beak was bleeding! I don’t know what to do. I’m just a kid and my bird is my best friend. She looks tired right now and I’m assuming that’s not good or it might be that it’s so late. I’m scared please help me my hands are full with her blood. What should I do?

Attachments

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Why can't you take your bird to the vet? If that is in any way possible that is what your bird needs- a vet.

Has the bleeding stopped? Did you pinpoint where it exactly was coming from? I can't tell from the picture but did she chip the end of it off or? If so the underlying tissue inside the beak is extremely soft and sensitive, and she will likely require soft foods until it heals. I am no expert, but I do want to make sure your bird is okay. Keep her warm and in a small area with little disturbance. Is she eating/drinking or not? Pooping? Acting strange besides tired?

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
I can’t take her to the vet because it’s 10 pm where I live. They are all closed. The bleeding has slowed down but hasn’t stopped. And yes she chipped the end of it she hasn’t eaten or drink and she has just been very quiet. I think the dried blood bothers her because she is trying to take it off. (I think that’s what she is doing)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You need to stop that bleeding asap.
You can do that using cornstarch or plain flour, it won’t be easy as you don’t want to irritate that broken part so be very firm but extremely gentle holding a good pinch of flour on the broken bit (it will be very sore like a smashed broken tooth for you), you’ll need to try to not get the powder in your birds airways so be extra careful there too.
Please beg someone if you have to to help you get your bird to the vet to be properly checked out.
Your bird will need painkillers at the very least.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try putting some corn flour on where it is bleeding. There are a lot of nerve endings in the beak and it is likely sore. You need to stop the bleeding as soon as possible. They do not have a lot of blood to lose.

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
I tried opening her mouth a bit but she won’t let me because it seems like the blood is coming from inside her mouth.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Birds have very little blood in their little bodies so stopping the bleeding or finding a way to get your bird to a vet asap are really your only options here.

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
yes I’m trying but all vets near me are closed and she won’t let me touch her she keeps biting me and it just hurts her more. Am I gonna lose her….

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There is likely an emergency vet (hopefully avian or one comfortable handling birds) who is on call for after hours emergencies- most clinics have an answering machine with an after hours number

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can’t say if she will make it or not but you want to find a way to settle and stop that bleeding- if your best chance of doing that is to leave her be in a quiet place then so be it. Hassling and angering her without actually stopping the bleeding is not going to help her, every time she attempts to bite she’s likely causing more bleeding.
10pm is fairly late for a bird to be up, do you think if she’s left alone the bleeding will settle?

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
The only one closest to home is nearly an hour away. And let me remind you that I’m still a kid relying on my parents to take me to these places. And they aren’t able to take me

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
I’m hoping she will. I mean as long as she doesn’t touch it. I think something scared her of she might of fell of her perches. Because i had already covered them up to sleep.

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
but the earliest i can take her to a vet is tomorrow morning when I’m able to drive with my parents.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I haven’t forgotten you’re a kid ;)

I’m really sorry but I don’t know what to tell you! The more stressed or energetic she is the more she’ll bleed, the more that break gets knocked the more she’ll bleed.

I think maybe keeping her as calm still and quiet as possible is the best thing you can do if you’re not able to stop the bleeding.

An hour is a very reasonable travel time for a bird vet- maybe beg your parents in the morning and explain its as painful as a broken tooth

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Put her in a carrier to limit movement.

If you can get her toweled and use a qtip to check inside get mouth that will help. When my Quaker got bit and had a bleeding beak I kept letting him bite qtips that were dipped in cornstarch until it stopped bleeding

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
The bleeding has be stopped ASAP. As recommended above corn starch or plain white flour. Get the bird in smaller cage with food and water, low perches. Cover and quiet. If she chipped her beak hard enough make bleed, she may have concussion so no heat. She needs to be seen right away in the morning by a vet.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Any updates on your bird?

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
Update: bleeding has stopped but she hasn’t eaten i think she might have drinken tho. Because the blood she had in her beak isn’t there anymore. She is pretty quiet and has been sleeping a lot but she moves once in a while. I gave her some pain meds.