• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Bird Bites and Humps my Hand

Leira

Sitting on the front steps
Hello! I've recently gotten two new cockatiels about two weeks ago, Rocky and Yuzu. As I've tried to interact with Rocky, however, I've noticed that he's super aggressive. He doesn't run away, I think he might be territorial? But I've tried leaving my hand in the cage for him to bite to show that it won't harm him, but as he bites he eventually gets on and starts humping my hand. My friend was over when this happened for the first time, and she noticed it immediately and I put him down immediately. I know I shouldn't let him do this, but every time he gets on he just does it? I know that birds can sometimes see you as their mate, but why is he so aggressive with me? How can I stop this behaviour?

Leira

Okay, but I want to form a meaningful bond with him. How can I approach this?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Invest in quality time spent with him and you may earn his trust but it takes months to years. You can just talk or sing to him. Cockatiels love to sing and whistle. Read him a book with bird pictures you show to him. You don't need hands on the bird to do these things. Don't be in a hurry. Slow down and enjoy each other. He picks up your feelings at these quality moments.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Just by sitting and talking to him. Maybe you can feed him some treats or give him some millet. But I agree, you can not stop hormones. It will pass, you need to ignore the behavior all together. Does he come out of his cage?

Leira

Just by sitting and talking to him. Maybe you can feed him some treats or give him some millet. But I agree, you can not stop hormones. It will pass, you need to ignore the behavior all together. Does he come out of his cage?
No, I want him to but I’m afraid to take him out in case he flies into something and he gets hurt. The previous owners never took him out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Make your room safe for him to fly. He should be flying for health reasons. Do you know how to make a room safe for flight?

Leira

Make your room safe for him to fly. He should be flying for health reasons. Do you know how to make a room safe for flight?
Not entirely, no. My room is relatively small with a bunk bed, however I do quite a bit of art as a hobby so I know I should put all that away. The only thing I’m worried with is that right now his cage is downstairs, but it’s too big to fit in my room! I really don’t want to grab him to bring him upstairs, how can I go about bringing him up safely?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you take him in a bathroom, cover mirrors and put toilet lid down? Small room is good to let a bird learn to fly and land. He may land in sink at first. Let him fly in there for a while. Work on making a larger room safe. No other pets, no reflective surfaces like mirrors or uncovered windows. Birds can get in tight places like behind furniture. Look up on the net about how to make a bird room safe. Is the cage flat top? If so put some treats and toys there. Does he step up? Do the bathroom for several days until he is flying better.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There's honestly no reason to put your hand in their cage to "allow them to get used to it". This wont really do any good if they don't see your hand as something positive. Now, if you offered them treats and food by hand, that would be a different story. You always want to give them the option to come to you though, never shove it in their face.

"Self-Tamed" Cockatiels | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Leira

There's honestly no reason to put your hand in their cage to "allow them to get used to it". This wont really do any good if they don't see your hand as something positive. Now, if you offered them treats and food by hand, that would be a different story. You always want to give them the option to come to you though, never shove it in their face.

"Self-Tamed" Cockatiels | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Alright, I’ve tried putting my hand in with food like millet spray, regular seed, sunflower seeds but he completely ignores it and attacks my hand? It confuses me a little because when I had budgies millet always calmed them down immediately. What am I doing wrong?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Suggest you not feed sunflower seeds to your bird, unless using as a treat only. They are good for wild birds because they need much fuel for flight but for indoor companion birds sunflower seeds are mostly fat.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Alright, I’ve tried putting my hand in with food like millet spray, regular seed, sunflower seeds but he completely ignores it and attacks my hand? It confuses me a little because when I had budgies millet always calmed them down immediately. What am I doing wrong?
They wont be interested if they aren't hungry.... so if you only feed enough to last one day and offer food/treats first thing in the morning before feeding them, that can increase their interest taking food from you. If they don't, that's okay, try again the next day!

Alternatively, don't open the cage door - instead, offer through the cage bars. Millet works well as you can hold it up to the bars and they can choose to come towards the bars without feeling as threatened by you being in the cage.

Leira

They wont be interested if they aren't hungry.... so if you only feed enough to last one day and offer food/treats first thing in the morning before feeding them, that can increase their interest taking food from you. If they don't, that's okay, try again the next day!

Alternatively, don't open the cage door - instead, offer through the cage bars. Millet works well as you can hold it up to the bars and they can choose to come towards the bars without feeling as threatened by you being in the cage.
oh, that makes sense, I'll try that tomorrow morning! and if it doesn't work ill offer through the cage bars. Thank you!