• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My bird ate aluminium and I think chocolate (urgent)

Ninato

Moving in
It was from a Ferrero for a cake (so it had chocolate all over it, not much but still) the golden foil was bitten I think since it was open and I didn’t see residue so I don’t know if he just tore it, he had a bit of chocolate on his beak but the chocolate didn’t look bitten, already contacted vets but I can’t go out rn and I got advice from the aviary and they told us to monitor him and give him water, what else do I do? Will he die? He looks fine and poops well and it’s been two hours almost and he’s two months old help. Surely maybe no one will answer this quickly but at least if he’s fine by tomorrow I can do something .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A small amount of chocolate is not good but I don’t believe it is deadly as a once off accident.
My concern would be more that you mention he ate aluminium. Are you certain aluminium was eaten?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Any update on how your bird is doing?

Ninato

Moving in
Any update on how your bird is doing?
Well i don’t know if he did but the chocolate was open and I couldn’t see any residue on the floor, he’s doing fine, he acted as he usually does and I gave him more baby food, but he makes little sounds and today was more clingy than usual, I don’t know if it’s crying but he keeps making that sound (since like 3 hours ago)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d feed some almond butter and collect each poop to squash and thoroughly check for foil. If there is a chance your bird ingested it then you want it out of his system ASAP.

Ninato

Moving in
I’d feed some almond butter and collect each poop to squash and thoroughly check for foil. If there is a chance your bird ingested it then you want it out of his system ASAP.
I’ve been checking his poop and it looks pretty fine, I gave him a cherry after he presumably ate the foil to track his poop (it gets a bit red or purple) and he did poop like he always does, I don’t have any almond butter that isn’t condimentes or with a flavor but would peanut butter work?

Ninato

Moving in
I’ve been checking his poop and it looks pretty fine, I gave him a cherry after he presumably ate the foil to track his poop (it gets a bit red or purple) and he did poop like he always does, I don’t have any almond butter that isn’t condimentes or with a flavor but would peanut butter work?
Also I haven’t noticed any chunks of aluminium or anything so I’m hopeful he just tore it

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yep! My vet recommended peanut butter when Rudy bit the syringe tip off and swallowed it. I found it in his morning poop the next day!

Ninato

Moving in
Yep! My vet recommended peanut butter when Rudy bit the syringe tip off and swallowed it. I found it in his morning poop the next day!
Oh thank you I’ll give it to him right away! Thank you so much

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj