• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My bird ate a tiny bit of chocolate

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
I was sitting at my desk today, and I happened to see my bird eat something small and brown off of my desk. I wasn't too concerned, but then I remembered that I had had a bit of chocolate and was eating it at my desk. The piece was very small, much smaller then the head of a pin, and I managed to get most of it out of his beak. It was milk chocolate, which I can confirm, and it was a really small amount and thank goodness I got most of it out. About 10 mins later (I kept him up past his bedtime to monitor his droppings and behavior) he pooped and it looked normal. Second poop was fine as well and he had a bath and was preening and behaving normally. I'm still very concerned though- even if I did get most of this very small piece of chocolate out of his beak, what signs should I watch out for and when would be suitable to take him to his vet? (If things get bad) Thank you!

One other thing I should mention- his vet is closed right now and earliest time I could take him (if he's showing signs of being seriously sick) would be 8 AM.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You would generally be on the lookout for vomiting and diarrhea.

Oscarbird

I changed his cage papers just now so I can monitor droppings better and check for diarrhea. No signs of vomiting or behavior changes.

Oscarbird

Just got him up and gave him some veggies, pellets and a treat. I checked his papers overnight and there was no sign of diarrhea and he was pretty sound throughout the night. I don't think we'll need to take him to the vet to get checked out, but I'm still going to be monitoring him.