• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my best friend probably will need a new home

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
After taking care of my too since I bought him as a chick in Orange NSW 13 years ago but I think I might need to rehome him . I have been struck badly with cancer and I don't can't keep him because I have to leave for Canada and can't take him with me .What I need is a special person who adores and loves birds and will be his best friend forever taking him on walks on their shoulder , rides in their car and do things together and a forever home
. You can put him up in a tree and he won't fly away and I take him to work with me every day . He will sit on a ladder all day watching me or I put him on the machine I'm working on on the farm . His diet consists mainly of warmed peas I hand feed him every day 3 to 4 times a day .He will need a lot of care , love and attention from whoever decides to take over as guardian / best friend .My workmate Mike takes care of him if I'm away and he says that he starts getting annoyed and unruly if he does not see me for more than 2 weeks .I do not care about the money but rather that he gets looked after and treated like I treat him .However in saying this I don't like giving things away because people dont appreciate things they get for free Can you help me out @Shezbug ? This a really hard post to write and it will break my heart to say goodbye but I really need to get myself cured . I am hoping I would find someone younger because he still has around 70 years to live . Sometimes he gets in his moods and is a bird who loves lots of affection and human attention so this is not a bird you can just throw in a cage for hours or God forbid - days . Anyways let me know if you are a good hearted person who wants to take my place taking care of him . I am in the Melbourne region in Victoria

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so very sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with cancer.
When do you leave Victoria for Canada?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your huge heart is all over that post. You have my deepest sympathy. I wish you strength and courage in the tough times ahead.

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do.

Eleanor Roosevelt

US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)
You have my my greatest respect for thinking of your bird above yourself. Truly inspiring. :hug8:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm so sorry to hear that. Prayers up for you buddy...

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for all the support from everyone .I love you guys on this forum though I never really said it .I will be going to another clinic with some of the best doctors in the country that I know that can help me greatly so this does not mean I'm going to die or anything like that . If they can't put this into remission then I have a lot of other options because I have done my research . I will keep you posted .

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
You certainly have the right attitude going into this! Is there anyone at all in your life you would trust to care for him while you’re in treatment? Then perhaps when (not if!) you’re better the 2 of you may be reunited.

I know you will do whatever is best for him. I can just feel the pain in your words and I pray there is a happy ending for both of you :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope everything goes well for you. Will you be going back to Australia? Can someone just watch your 'too for you while you're gone?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
You are in my prayers. Kick cancer's butt

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank You for all the support everyone .Thanks @rocky'smom :) I have been running around seeing different doctors and clinics to find the right way to tackle and get rid of this disease .If there was one good piece of advice I can give so far is to do your own research is to never trust the doctor's word as gospel . I was scheduled to go for surgery but called it off after reading this article Preventing Surgery-Induced Cancer Metastasis - page 1 - Life Extension My question is why the doctor never told me the risks of spreading the disease through surgery ? The good thing is I'm taking the medicines and other compounds necessary to protect myself.It pays to be vigilant .

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First of all, I am so sorry that you're dealing with this and have to rehome your beloved companion. I hope that you're able to come through this challenge and enjoy many more years of life.

Please, please be careful about disregarding your doctors' advice. At the very least, show them the article that you're using to make your decisions. There are LOTS of ways to conduct substandard research and someone used to reading medical research will be familiar with these. For example, research using tiny groups for study; lack of randomised treatment; lack of a control group; comparing populations with, for example, different kinds of cancers at different stages; citing effects on e.g. rats or mice that cannot be extrapolated to humans. I can't see a study cited in that article that's more recent than 2009 which worries me - cancer research is incredibly fast-moving, and a lot has happened in the past decade. Their references also aren't formatted according to any academic standard (I would fail a student if they handed me a reference list that looked like this!): they don't include the name of the authors or even the full title of the article, which makes me suspicious that they're hiding how much of this research was conducted on animals or small populations.

This site is also trying to get you to buy their products. They're simply not an impartial source of information.

I would hate for you to suffer because you're getting your information from a biased website that's trying to scare you into certain courses of action. The gold standard of evidence-based research are Cochrane reports, which are systemic analyses of all the research published in an area. You can search this site for Cochrane reviews on cancer: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/
For example, this is the one that looks at mistletoe - it finds that when you look at enough evidence, the the claim that it helps is weak: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cds....pub2/full?highlightAbstract=withdrawn|cancer

Please talk to your doctors and open up a conversation about your concerns. They will be used to reading medical research, and they will be able to direct you to good sources of accurate information.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug: My sympathies as if you both needed one another this is it. My respect because re-home is the hardest decisions a parront has to make.

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone : I'm suffering a bit now from some pain but that hasn't stopped me from working .My primary treatment is going to be Rick Simpson oil which should do it but if not I'll be heading straight to the Oasis of Hope clinic in Tijuana , Mexico . A lady with stage 4 lung cancer and given 2 weeks to live went there and was completly cured by the good folks at the clinic . I have virtually no faith in the medical system other than for setting broken bones or minor issues .But with cancer it's all about the money and how to scare patients into taking radiation/chemo . In most cases the cancer comes back even stronger than before resistant to any treatments . If I have to leave I know birdie will be really well taken care of because there is a lovely woman named Shez from this forum who will look after him and for that I am grateful .For anyone suffering from any of a long list of chronic diseases like MS. cancer , rheumatoid arthritis to name a few have a look at using Rick Simpson oil. Rick used to give the oil away to patients before the loving Canadian government went after him and he had to leave the country . His website is www.phoenixtears.ca and here is a really good video of him answering questions