• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My beloved Quaker is gone :(

animalover

Jogging around the block
im so sorry for your loss.

OkiF

Sitting on the front steps
I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully sadness will give way to beautiful memories in not too long. (But we are in the same boat as we lost our bird last month, and it still did not heal, so just know you are not alone).

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so devastating when they are taken so suddenly. My parrot was 18 when he passed. There is not a day goes by when I don't miss him. It's a year now since then. Yet I have so many memories that I like to think he is still alive in my heart and that love doesn't actually die. Treasure your memories and the fact that you gave him a life full of live. Our thoughts are with you....take one day at a time.

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I am so very sorry :sadhug:

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss. And yes, people here do understand. When my cockatiel Sunny died, I felt like my heart had been ripped out. Although you never stop missing them, it does get better with time. I found that having some artwork or pictures of him around helped me. As silly as it sounds, I didn't want him to think I would forget about him. So, having mementos of him around me helped.

BirdLvrNE

Moving in
I cannot thank you all enough for your kind words and sympathy! It means the world to me. I had a horrible night of sleep. Every time I'd wake up, I'd think of Whirly and what had happened and I was absolutely crushed all over again. The guilt has set in too. All the "what if's" are driving me crazy, especially that I should have gotten him to a vet on Sunday when he first started showing signs of illness. :shakehead: But then again, I had a hard enough time finding someone yesterday that would take a look at him - avian vets are few and far between. And I worry so about my sweet green cheek conure Petri - he was in a cage right next to Whirly, and I pray he doesn't get sick too.

Love Birds

Meeting neighbors
My best friend and little buddy Whirly just passed away. He was a beautiful blue Quaker, and he was 16 years old. I loved him so very much. I cannot stop crying. I still don't understand what happened. It all happened so quickly. He started showing signs of illness Sunday, and I couldn't get him into the vet until this afternoon. The vet said it was most likely respiratory and that he was indeed very sick. He gave him an antibiotic shot and sent me home with some treated drinking water for him, and told me to keep using the UVB lamp. By the time we got home, I put him back in his cage, and he just laid down on the cage floor and went to sleep. :sad2: I guess I just came here to find others that can relate to how deep the love for a bird can be. I will miss him so terribly. :sad3:
Oh, the blue Quakers are so pretty. So sorry about your loss. You did the best you knew how. I just lost an English budgie, and I am devastated. The birds may be small, but they know how to touch our hearts. And birds can mask their illnesses very well. We do the best to care for them, detect if they are sick; but most of us are not avian veterinarians.

BirdLvrNE

Moving in
Oh, the blue Quakers are so pretty. So sorry about your loss. You did the best you knew how. I just lost an English budgie, and I am devastated. The birds may be small, but they know how to touch our hearts. And birds can mask their illnesses very well. We do the best to care for them, detect if they are sick; but most of us are not avian veterinarians.
Thank you Love Birds! So sorry for the loss of your English budgie - hugs to you!

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
I know how you feel we all know how you feel , your baby loves you , it’s crazy how quickly things can take a turn for the worse , we cant expect what’s gonna happen next we all do our best in The moment. I also couldn’t sleep for a while after putting my bird down I was having nightmares , think about the good time , time will heal everything. I’m sending big hugs but now all our feathered friends on high way to heaven are with your baby now

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Im so sorry for your loss,
not having someone with you that you've loved for 16 years is hard.

Take comfort in knowing you tried, you sought treatment.

It won't hurt less, but it will hurt less often :sadhug2:

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm so sorry. :sadhug2: :sorrow:

BirdLvrNE

Moving in
Thank you Priya12, Casey, and Sunni Tiel for your very kind responses. It means a lot.