• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My banded Male Macaw is a Female

Cricketnilesrn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cricket
We have 2 blue and gold macaws, both male, or so we thought. On April first of 2018 we found an egg. Today April 19th, Howie, now Holly, has dropped another egg. We never researched females so we are clueless. How often does a 7 year old macaw lay eggs?
How can I tell if my other is a male or female as well?
Do I have to make a nest box?
How do I know if my male Niko is really and male or even old enough to you know?
Holly rubs herself on him and he just looks like "cracker? cracker?" he's oblivious to her advances.

Any advice would be nice and appreciated.

Thank you
Pepper and Cricket
They are both about 7 years old

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
-I'm not sure how often macaws lay eggs
-The only way to tell usually is a DNA test, your local vet can do this by either taking a blood sample, or picking a few small feathers from your bird. These will be sent to a lab somewhere (the lab my bird's DNA got tested at was in Florida). The info will be mailed back to you or your vet.
-You probably should make a nest box, because you can then swipe the eggs and replace them for dummies if you don't want them having babies, and if you want babies then just leave the eggs. But you will only have eggs if the other is male.
-B & G macaws are usually 3-4 years old when they hit breeding maturity (got that from a google search)
-Your macaws will eventually breed because in nature, all animals have a want to pass on their genes.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My macaws lay once a year. I do not give a nest box because I don't want to encourge it. If they lay eggs and are adamant about sitting on them I replace them with dummy eggs and give them soft nesting material to sit on. :)