• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My baby lovebirds have bald spots

sir carti

Checking out the neighborhood
i just woke up and feed my baby bird when i see big bald spots on my bird. my guessing is it got plucked by other baby probably because i neglect and it got dirty. will it grow back or is it permanent? InkedWhatsApp Image 2021-07-23 at 9.20.01 PM_LI.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Are the three babies alone, or are there adults around them?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue.

Definitely has been plucked at by either another chick OR the parents.

Will the feathers grow back? Usually they do, but if the follicles have been damaged then they may not grow properly if at all. Time will tell.

Remove that one chick and place into the brooder and hand raise. Monitor the other chicks super closely to be sure there´s not a parent plucking the little ones.
When one bird is getting plucked at by another, they must be separated. Having feathers plucked out must be painful.

sir carti

Checking out the neighborhood
Welcome to the Avenue.

Definitely has been plucked at by either another chick OR the parents.

Will the feathers grow back? Usually they do, but if the follicles have been damaged then they may not grow properly if at all. Time will tell.

Remove that one chick and place into the brooder and hand raise. Monitor the other chicks super closely to be sure there´s not a parent plucking the little ones.
When one bird is getting plucked at by another, they must be separated. Having feathers plucked out must be painful.
thank you for the advice! I'd make sure to separate all of them because i see bald spots on all of the babies

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i see bald spots on all of the babies
Bald spots on all of the babies, no parents around.. I would be pushing for a PBFD test, just to err on the side of caution. The chicks could all be doing it to each other, but I would definitely be seeing the vet and getting them checked out. Test for PBFD, polyoma and psittacosis.

If you don´t have a second brooder to split the babies up, you can make a temporary DIY brooder using a critter carrier and a heat pad.